Hi power clone assembly problems

HistoryJunkie

last night I disassembled my hi power clone and it didnt end well. I knocked out my trigger assembly to get a better idea of how it worked and I can't get iyt back together right. The trigger bar doesn't always engage now. A lot of times I have to hold it up manually with the slide off to get it to fire. In double action the hammer strikes extremely light. In single action the hammer hits with normal tension. Any ideas what I did wrong here?

HistoryJunkie

Thanks for the reference but I already read that. I have looked at the schematics too and it looks like I put everything back together right. I am completely lost. I dont want to disassemble the gun any further... Or really continue at all until I get some advice. More than likely I just made a really stupid mistake.

HistoryJunky

After fiddling around some more with my handgun, I have a few more details that might be helpful. I apologize if I restate anything I already said. 1. The trigger bar does not engage the hammer without being held in place. 2. Doublr action dry firing does not work. I can pull the trigger but there is very little tension and the hammer doesn't even movre to the double action cocked position. I'm pretty clueless here. Been messing with it for over 2 hours today and it's not fixed yet.

HistoryJunky

Yes, mine is a DA/SA version... It's not really a Hi-Power in that sense. But the internals are nearly the same of as a Hi-Power and it is based off of the Hi-Power. The handgun in question is an Arcus 98DAC, if that helps at all.

Craig623

What in the world ever motivated you to purchase that pistol? And why would you ever try to disassemble the most complicated part of it, knowing nothing about the trigger assembly? You are the first person I have come across that just had to have a Bulgarian pistol. The cost for a competent gunsmith to put that back together, so it runs safe is going to exceed whatever perceived savings you thought you we're getting. Not to be mean, but what the hell were you thinking about?

blchandl2

Many of us own them because we know what a true value they are. Nothing wrong with trying to see how the gun functions. I agree, it would have been prudent to have some info prior to dis-assembly, but it is a learning experience.

Walt Sherrill

They may have started with the BHP design, but they obviously took it off in a much different direction: if it's double action/single action, it's not really a CLONE of the BHP, or even close. The internal mechanism has to be totally different for it to be a DA gun.

Looking to BHP experts or users (or seeking guidance from BHP technical info) for help is probably a wasted effort -- you need to be talking with Arcus owners of similar models (i.e., ARCUS 98DAC).

jglsprings

Craig623

What in the world ever motivated you to purchase that pistol? And why would you ever try to disassemble the most complicated part of it, knowing nothing about the trigger assembly? You are the first person I have come across that just had to have a Bulgarian pistol. The cost for a competent gunsmith to put that back together, so it runs safe is going to exceed whatever perceived savings you thought you we're getting. Not to be mean, but what the hell were you thinking about?

Feel better now? Added lots to the question there. Thanks.

You are going to either find a local gunsmith, we have all done this once, or try your google-fu to find a schematic. Sorry I can't be of much more help, but I have never even heard of that pistol.

I think the OP doesn't need a lecture here nor does he have to justify purchasing a cloned firearm. Let's move forward and work the problem at hand...

jmstr

just for my own information: is this Arcus more of a clone of the S&W model 39 trigger mechanism? I know the 39 was single stack, was it the 59 that was double-stack but Da/Sa?

Just curious.

HistoryJunky

Thanks to all

For the schematic and everything. Yeah I was a bit over my head but thats kinda how I learn. As to buying a Bulgarian pistol, I haven't had any problems with it. Havent fired.more than 150 rounds through it, but havent had any misfires or jams out of those with cheap walmart Remington bulk pack ammo either. I am happy woth it and thats what mattera to me. I will take a look at the provided schematic and get back to you all tomorrow . Thanks all.

Mobuck

I think jmstr is correct. IIRC the Arcus uses a trigger design similar to an early S&W semiauto.
Maybe look at those schematics to see if you have a spring mislplaced or something of that nature.
Truthfully, calling an Arcus a HiPower clone is a real stretch.

carguychris

IIRC the Arcus uses a trigger design similar to an early S&W semiauto.
I'm a bit intrigued by this due to my fondness for S&W TDA pistols. :)

Does the Arcus incorporate a trigger-actuated firing pin block? 1st-gen S&W pistols do not; these pistols have a single plunger under the slide for the mag disconnect, a corresponding lever in the LH frame that doubles as the ejector, and a second lever in the RH frame to disengage the sear when the decocker/safety is operated. The 2nd- and 3rd-gen pistols added a second slide plunger and another lever on the RH side for the firing-pin block.

Also, FWIW a frequent errors when reassembling a S&W TDA is failure to reinstall the disconnector correctly; it's a vertically-oriented part located in a hole in the rear of the frame. The tab on the disconnector rides on top of the trigger drawbar, and it's supposed to point towards the rear. The problem is that the disconnector is hard to see, so if you disassemble the pistol without instructions, you may not realize it's even there until you remove the drawbar, which will cause the disconnector to fall out if you're holding the frame open-side up. (clink... "What's this thingy that just fell out?!?") :rolleyes: