Hi-Point Safe To Carry With Loaded Chamber??

jdscholer

Can anyone with true knowledge of the internals tell me this? Guess I'm looking for reassurance that there is a positive safety/block that would prevent discharge even in a drop situation. I apologize if this has been asked/answered. jd

jdscholer

Heck, there's usually no shortage of expert opinions around here. Do I have to tie a pork chop around my neck??

This is an early model JF, the one with the mag release under the grip. Aside from that, I believe the pistol is same as the current model 9mm. Gun belongs to my neighbor, and needed a mag. Got one on the way from Hi Point very reasonable. I'll call them about this if I have to. jd

krunchnik

According to Hi Points website they do have a drop safety of some sort built in-also a thumb safety and magazine disconnect.I would say they are as safe to carry as any other handgun.Safety is of coarse only as credible as the first person user.

Ibmikey

a pork chop? Now that is funny, but you could could bribe the crook with a bite and some ketchup rather than pointing a Hi Point at him :D
Sorry I could not resist the opportunity.

g.willikers

After taking a look at the parts view, it appears there is a firing pin block.
An extrusion on the trigger bar that engages a cutout on the firing pin?
But thinking in terms of the real world, how many times have you actually dropped a gun?
It was probably more of an issue with sixguns when riding a tall horse.

jdscholer

Now see, this is the kind of "back and forth" I was looking for.

If this was my gun, I'd tear into it and likely find out, but it's not. Thought maybe someone could help me out. This has often bothered me with various striker fired pistols. jd

Deaf Smith

Look at parts 17 or 18 and 5, depending on the parts view picture.
They might act like a firing pin block??

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/manuals/C-9_CF380.pdf

http://www.mouseguns.com/hipoint/insheet.htm

"SAFETY DEVICES for Models C9-9MM and CF 380-380 A.C.P"

"Passive Internal Drop Safeties -

Sear block - a spring loaded plate that falls under the sear pin arm when pistol is dropped on its rear.
Counter weight - a weight that counter acts sear movement when pistol is dropped on its handle."

but.. does not mention if dropped on it's side, muzzle, or top of slide. And..

"For your safety, and that of others, we strongly recommend that you do not store, carry, or handle this, or any other firearm with a cartridge in the barrel until you are ready to shoot."

So, maybe it is safe... Up to you!

Deaf

Cheapshooter

"For your safety, and that of others, we strongly recommend that you do not store, carry, or handle this, or any other firearm with a cartridge in the barrel until you are ready to shoot."
Standard CYA lawyer speak found in every owner's manual.

jdscholer

Thanks finally guys for the response. I've got a hunch that there's lots of guys/gals, who may have this same question about many of the SA semi-autos out there; especially the cheapos.

Who wants to pack one in the pipe if the safety is nothing more than a trigger block? jd

TunnelRat

Who wants to pack one in the pipe if the safety is nothing more than a trigger block? jd

If you mean firing pin block I've been carrying striker fired pistols with a round chambered for some time. No problems yet. Same is true for many others over what amounts to decades now. If you don't want to that's of course your call.

We still don't seem to be in agreement if the Hi Point has a drop safety however.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
"Most striker fired pistols have a firing pin block."

If you mean "most" based on a sheer number count, that is not true. Only the more modern striker pistols have a firing pin block; guns like the Colt 1908 .25 caliber don't, nor does the Browning 1910/1922 or thousands of similar pistols made all over the world for over a century. And only the most modern hammer type pistols have any kind of a firing pin or hammer block The original 1911 does not, nor do hundreds of similar designs, as well as Lugers, etc.

So those who insist on carrying "one up the pipe" and believe the gun designers protect them may well be under an illusion.

Jim

TunnelRat

So those who insist on carrying "one up the pipe" and believe the gun designers protect them may well be under an illusion.

If they're carrying an older design then yes.

I'll edit the remark. I didn't intend to encompass designs a century old in my original comment, but technicalities are facts.

I am of the firm opinion that those same advances improve the .40 (and .45) as well.
Doesn't this issue go back to MOSTLY issues with external hammers? That isn't an issue here.
There is also inertia if dropped on the barrel, but that also seems to be covered.
I don't think being dropped on the side is much of an issue for pistols. I'm not saying there has never been a design with that fault, but it is not common and I'd bet there were other issues with such a design.

Skans

I had never seen the schematic for a Hi-Point (or disassembled one). I was surprised how similar in design it is to the Jennings/Bryco/Lorcin type guns. This is purely an observation, not meant to answer the OP's question as to safety. I've always maintained that the Jennings design could be made safe and reliable, even if the guns were not.