Hi-Point Popularity

ExMP

Good Afternoon All,

Ok, yes, I said the nastiest word I could say on TFL...Hi-Point. I hope I don't get banned :)

Recently, I have noticed that I can't find these darn things (in 9mm) anywhere. Yes, why do I want one? Curiosity for the most part. I want to try it cold, mod it a little and see what happens. I mean, I'll be out $140 if my curiosity leads to naught. Though, as fast as they're selling here, I may break even. My A/C tech guy has a HUGE collection of guns (300+ pistols/rifles), but, he loves shooting that dang Hi-Point, says it's his favorite.

I've been looking on gunlistings.org and every time one comes up, it's sold. It's just nuts how fast they're selling. The closest gun shop to me that I can find them is 75 miles away. Really, WTH? These little things are cheap. Is that the only reason they're popular?

aarondhgraham

hardworker is correct,,,

They're cheap and they work.
For the non-gun enthusiast gun buyers, that's all they need to know.

'Nuff said?

They are affordable,,,
If I had no money to spend,,,
It's probably the gun I would own.

But I would keep a sharp stick handy as well. ;)

Aarond

insaneranger

They're inexpensive, bulky, very top heavy, a little fugly, but they also go bang everytime. They don't have a lot of respect in the gun community, I think mostly because of the price & looks, but everyone I've ever talked to that owned one liked it. Being heavy makes them a very tame shooter & I've heard they're actually very reliable. I wouldn't mind trying one out myself. :D

LugerT

They are affordable,,,
If I had no money to spend,,,
It's probably the gun I would own.

I agree, I bought one about two years ago for$130 to see if they really deserved the bad reputation they seem to have been bestowed with. Although not an the easiest on the eyes, or light on the wrist, they do in fact work. I put over 1000 rounds through one in a month of my dirt cheap lead reloads and honestly it went bang every time. No target pistol but if you do not have much cash to spend on a higher end pistol for a purpose that needs reliability then this is the gun for you.

Bamashooter

My C9 has thousands of rounds through it and is still shooting like a new one. Paid right at $100 at a gunshop for mine. Its never given me a problem and shoots very nice groups. I keep it in my glove box in my jeep. Cant beat it for the price and although I have yet to use it the warranty is top notch from what I hear.

AustinTX

They're inexpensive, bulky, very top heavy, a little fugly, but they also go bang everytime.

I've seen several that won't "go bang every time." Most seem to be finicky regarding ammo preferences, and cheap components and poor fit and finish can lead to other problems. Most issues can be resolved or improved with a little "fluff and buff." Furthermore, it appears that their customer service is as good as anyone else's and that the company will do their best to take care of any problems your gun may have.

They're certainly much better guns than the dangerous (to the shooter) Bryco/Jennings/Jimenez/Raven/Lorcin junk with which they're typically and unfairly grouped in internet discussions.

I'm sure I'll pick one up in .40 or .45 at some point just out of morbid curiosity.

Ambishot

The only reasons for their popularity have been listed. Cheap...like squirt gun cheap...and *reliable. The targeted demographic is new shooters who don't have any prior knowledge on firearms, OR for shooters who don't want a sharp stick/baseball bat but can't afford something better.

I'd say stick with the bat if you don't have the cash to buy something better.

*This I cannot prove...in fact my experience with Hi-points tends to disagree with this claim. The only time I've seen a Hi-Point .9mm at a range, it couldn't hit paper at 25 yds and jammed every third round. It was also new in box. And no, it wasn't mine. :D

bitttorrrent

I would if I could - do you know they are on the banned list in the City of Chicago. Too many thugs buy them cause they are cheap and work.

Glockfan36

:)I would if I could - do you know they are on the banned list in the City of Chicago. Too many thugs buy them cause they are cheap and work.
They're banned because the city thinks only crooks buy them,eh? Though
the city would cite "safety concerns" if ever asked why their banned! Makes you realize that anti-gunners are nothing more than a bunch of whiny-butt three year-olds who can't explain why they do anything! But getting back on topic before the mods ban me or shut down this thread:):eek::). I've had two Hi-Points: the CF380 and the C9. I sold them after I'd bought something better. I simply didn't see a need for either one once I'd acquired something better. To me, guns are tools and nothing more: If I don't need a particular one, I either (a)don't buy it, or (b) sell one I already have.

PoorRichRichard

My 45 is rad! Got it for a $110! As long as you clean it every 200-300 rounds, it's reliable. Also a really great gun for the first time handgun shooter<<< It's so heavy that once you learn to shoot it, other guns just feel awesome being that most other autos are considerably lighter. Good trainer that I come back to time and time again.

Amin Parker

I would personally love to own one. It reminds me of my Norinco 213 that i bought to test reloads in ( i know they dont look the same. I am talking about the reputation). I quickly learned that the gun works very well. I have a soft spot for the Hi Point. I hope someone will import them to my neck of the woods as i am dying to see and own one.

C0untZer0

I think the reason they are hard to find is that reputable gun dealers don't want the hassle that comes with them:

1) An influx of gang bangers, thugs and straw-purchasers into their establishment.

2) An increase in gun traces associated with their shop.

bikerbill

Don't have one of their handguns, but I do have a 9mm carbine that has been stone reliable and a lot of fun to shoot ... so far, so good ...

Skans

To me, guns are like watches. I wouldn't buy a $5.99 watch sold in Walgreens, and I wouldn't buy a Hi-point pistol either. I'm sure both work just fine, I don't really care if other people buy them, it's just that they don't do a thing for me.

microman

The cheap price makes them popular IMO.

I had a C9 in the past and now I own the JHP .45

After all this is said..I would never encourage anyone to
spend their money on one. I would save and get something
of better quality that would last longer.

Onward Allusion

They are what they are.
- inexpensive
- fairly reliable
- accurate enough
- made with lower quality materials
- ugly as the stranger you went home with up at 3 AM

I bought one for the heck of it and it does work. Would I use it for SD? Maybe if it was my last gun in a "real" caliber.