hi point 995ts. Should you get it?

keithdog

I am posting this from my fathers firing line account. So do not message him relating to this post. Only some thoughts about my personal feelings on whether or not one should get a PCC from Hi Point.
Because why not keep beating a dead horse?

Is the hi point carbine right for you? Well, that depends. What do you need from your rifle? Many bash the hi point carbine for it's aesthetics (fair enough) while others bash it out of the belief that pistol caliber carbines- PCC's- are more or less useless (really?). Proponents of the PPC will say that pistol ammo is cheaper and that it is convenient to have a gun that uses the same ammo as your pistol or that many ranges only allow pistol caliber and rimfire rounds, and so the PCC makes sense for this reason. Those things are true, but if we are concerned about range and power shouldn't we just make the longer trip to the closest rifle range and spend a few dollars more for ammo?
Of course!
But if you're a mid 20's guy like me who can't afford to get a quality semi automatic rifle, then what are you to do? Save money for a quality rifle? Sure, but that will take a lot of time and when one already has insufficient funds it becomes difficult to justify spending so much money, no matter how little is put away at a time. This is not to say that that is a bad idea, only that the Hi Point carbine is a very good compromise. If you are the kind of person who is open to compromises (you are aren't you?). Nobody thinks the hi point carbine is the best gun. Many doubters seem to feel that Hi Point fans think it ideal; of course any half-decent AR or AK, or really anything else for that matter is going to be a far better firearm on paper. But if dropping the better part of a grand or over is unjustifiable, what with the bills piling up, then do not be afraid to take the leap on a 300 dollar gun that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. As far as quality, one need only fear the firing pin getting bent. Call Hi Point. They will send you replacements for free before you have even fired your gun. I hope this helps another to take a plunge into the shallow end of the pool. Getting metaphorically wet is fun, and if the first rule of gun fighting is to have a gun, then GET a gun that works for 300 dollars. Better than staying dry.
Or keep saving your money and get what you really want. I don't care. But I am so glad I got my -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-ty, ugly, clunky 9mm carbine. After all, I am in the pool at least, even if it's only the shallow end.

rep1954

Don't remember for sure when I bought a 9mm Hi Point carbine but it seems like 1990-1991. I shot it for about 10 years then my brother used it for a few years and the rest of the time my son has had possession of it. For the last 4 years it has been 9 hours away in Tennessee so l have been thinking of getting another for myself again. Of the three of us never has the gun ever had a misfire or failure to cycle and accuracy rivails other handgun carbines. For a fun range gun it's a blast is it tough enough to be used beyond that I don't know. 26 to 27 years use does say something about the gun.

turtlehead

Welcome! And enjoy your rifle. My Dad has the model in 45 and I've zeroed it for him. Pretty surprising kick for a pistol caliber carbine.

Cheapshooter

But if you're a mid 20's guy like me who can't afford to get a quality semi automatic rifle
20's HA!!!
How about this soon to be septuagenarian (70 if you live in Rio Linda as Rush Limbaugh would say). With Ar's AK's FNFAL, Dragonov, and a whole bunch of other "evil back rifles" in my "accumulation", a Hi-Point 4595ts is high on my short ist for 2017.
I think there is just something rugged evil cool looking about them.

Camnus

The 45 version is on my list this year as well. Along with the bullpup stock for it. Just because, heh.

Cam

Siggy-06

Nothing against the hi point carbines, from what I read theyre a pretty good bargain and they work. However, AR-15's are selling cheap right now, like $379-399 omni hybrids or Deltons, and the ruger 556 below $500.

B-Shot

Their not pretty or light but are fun plinkers/beaters and eats cheap ball ammo like a champ(in 9mm) just get a few extra mags you may have an issue with one from time to time.

Onward Allusion

I have a 995. Fun gun. Biggest downside is capacity. 10 rounds per mag is a bit light even for plinking. The ProMag 15 round mags need a lot of tweaking to get 'em to run properly. Of course, there's also the strange looking 20 round mags with the articulating connector. If it's all one can afford AND don't already have a Ruger 10/22, by all means get a Hi Point 995.

Keep in mind, all the PPC will get you is accuracy at distance. I guess the big question is purpose. Plinking or SD.

rightside

You seem to be saying getting the Hi-Point is an exceptable alternative to getting a cheap rifle. It fires a pistol round! That's fine , unless you need the power of a rifle. Its a pistol round moving slightly quicker out of longer barrel. You cannot equate that to a rifle. It is not! When you need rifle power, don't call a pistol carbine a good alternative to a rifle because it's cheaper. Makes absolutely zero sense.
"Lessee, I need to hunt deer, so I'll use a Hi-Point carbine 'cause 9mm is cheaper than 30-30." Huh?
If you're just talking about range time than you're right, it makes no difference. Hi-Point, AR, AK. They all go bang at a fairly rapid pace if that's all you want.(Millennials!) Although weapons do have some other fairly significant uses.:confused:

Last edited: