Hi...Need info on Colt SAA Generations

Gunnutz13

Hi...first post on this forum...having hard time getting info on Colt SAA Generation differences...the Colt Website is downright user unfriendly...as was google, yahoo, ask.com.

Please point to where I can find basic info such as years for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations...as well as current info on 3rd generation SAA...

Picking up a 3rd Gen Peacemaker...45LC...4 3/4" barrel...case hardened frame, and blued...a firearm I have always "lusted" for...I've been a firearm collector for years...have all the firearms I need...finally got the $$ to buy what I've always wanted...and usually research any firearm I plan on buying way before now...but have been so busy at home and work that I'm finally setting time aside now. Been to many gun shows...looked at 3rd gens...and the prices...and always said "one day"...well, that would be tomorrow...3/29/07. The local Mom & Pop gun shop didn't even have one in stock...so I'm gonna handle it for the first time..."@ high noon". I'll post a review and digital pics as soon as I get off the range...thanks

Any other Colt SAA collectors out there..?

Last edited:

Wildalaska

!st gen 1873 to 1940 (sometimes called pre war)
2nd gen 1956-76
3rd gen is 1976 to date.

Present Colt SAAs are the NICEST they have ever been. I've sold 14 in the past 6 months and they are awesome.

WildcowboyAlaska

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you read something from before or shortly after WWII, sometimes the terms 1st and 2nd generation were applied to the black/smokeless powder change at about 165,000 serial number. The breakdown given by Wildalaska is the one now generally agreed on, with all the pre-WWII guns lumped together as 1st generation.

Jim