Hi-caps for Browning Hi-Power .40 cal. ???

ZWolfgang

With the ban lifted, are we likely to be able to find higher-cap factory mags for Browning Hi-Powers in .40 cal.?

Geoff Timm

Just as a guesstimate, the HP had a 13 round magazine standard in 9mm.
9 x 13 = 117, 117 / 10 = 11.7. I suspect you might get 12 rounds in the .40 S&W caliber.

Geoff
Who prefers a smaller weapon. :cool:

Erich

Browning originally planned for this to be an 11-round mag. (Like the Beretta 96.) Go to fnhipower.com for more info - those guys know BHPs! :)

Geoff Timm

Zwolfgang commented, "Thanks guys... Yes, 11 sounds about right I guess. But whopppe, 1 more round! "

Which is why I was studying the .40 Browning, instead of the 9, it was essentially full capacity.

Geoff
Who had a Browning 9mm once. I didn't like the 1972 style target sights and small safety. Both have been improved since. :cool:

ZWolfgang

I have two Browning Hi-Powers in .40 cal., one high polished blued and the other silver chrome. Don Williams did trigger jobs on them both and I've got to say, these are superb defense pistols... reliability second to no other semi-auto pistol, great accuracy, excellent power, good capacity, and a feel in the hand that is truly remarkable. They are very fine pistols!

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. The standard capacity magazine for the forty was originally 11 rounds. Some early ones got out that had been modified with white-colored plastic pegs
inserted to prevent loading more than 10 rnds as the goofy ban passed during the same time frame that the forty came out. FN says it "didn't happen" but I've seen two of them that came with a NIB .40 Mk III. Very soon the follower was more permanently changed to preclude easy "modification" back to original 11-rnd capacity. Hopefully, Mec-Gar will go back to the original follower so an "even dozen" can be carried in the pistol as intended.

Best.

ZWolfgang

Hey Stephen... thanks. Let's hope those 11 rnd. mags get made! An even dozen of .40 in a BHP would make a superb defense package indeed.

PsychoSword

Sounds like if you already got the ten round mags, all you'd have to do is switch out the follower for the 11 round one.

Now I again wonder if Mec-Gar is going to bring out a "hi-capacity" 12 rounder with a hollow follower like they do with other guns. I'm not sure there's enough magazine space though, even with a hollow follower. We shall see...

VaughnT

Hate to hijack a thread, but does anyone know how many 9mm rounds will fit and function from a .40S&W BHP magazine? I was thinking about buying a few of them to use out of my 9mm if I could get 15+ rounds of 9mm in there without compromising function. The 17rnd 9mm mags on the market have way ugly basepads for my tastes!