Hi-Capacity .45 ACP?

Xfire68

I have long been a fan of the .45 ACP but I have yet to own one. I want a "High-Capacity" 10++ rounds or more and would prefer 14+1.

I have looked at Para Ordnance as a option but have read a few negative things about there customer service and the finish having durability problems. I am not counting them out yet but, would like to hear all and any about them and any other that fits my requirements?

The CZ 97 is another that I have been eyeballing seeing how it's close to the same as my CZ 75B which I love!

What do you all feel about FN Herstal? I have zero experience with the company as well as their guns.

This will mainly be used for target shooting but also as a HD gun when not at the range.

sksmatt

Just to name a few :)...

Glock 21 full size = 13+1

Glock 30 compact = 10+1

Springfield XD45 = 13+1

Springfield GI 1911 wide = 13+1

HK USP45 = 12+1

Taurus 24/7 45 = 12+1

Taurus PT845 = 12+1

The only 14+1 45acp hi-caps I know of are the
Para Ord 1911 and the FN FNP 45.

Last edited:

Dino.

I had a "high capacity" .45 back in the day.
It was a Starr "Mega Star", IIRC.

I think I remember it holding 14+ rounds.
One of the smoothest actions I've ever felt in a gun.
It's one of many pistols I regret selling. :(

Rayndeon

I would recommend, not necessarily in this order,
  • CZ 97: If you love the CZ 75B, the controls are very similar here. Again, being a double-stack .45, you may find the grip a little thick.
  • HK45: Probably the most ergonomic double-stack .45 on the planet. DA/SA with cocked-and-locked like the CZ and the earlier USP .45. Very reliable, a great gun all around.
  • Jericho/Baby Eagle .45: A great CZ clone, a very, very nice handgun. Mangum Research and Charles Daly used to import these, but you can find plenty of used ones. Only problem with it is that the safety is on the slide. DA/SA only with combined safety/decocker, although it can't be carried cocked-and-locked.
  • FNP 45: A great Sig derivative, it's DA/SA with decocker. Easily the highest capacity of this list, 15+1. Very nice gun.

And if you can find one, the Asai One Pro. It's an uncommon Swiss .45 that was imported by Magnum Research, 16+1, excellent trigger and generally an all-around great gun. DA/SA only.

Osageshooter

In high capacity I would go with the H&K 45. It is 12+1. I was shooting mine last night. Accurate, reliable, cocked and lock option as well as DA first shot option.

cwok

Hi-Cap .45 acp

Second the Glock 21 with 13 rounds in the magzine.

Carry a spare mag -- if 26 rounds of .45acp is not enough -- run away (that not official doctrine, just my suggestion).

Skans

My STI 2011 frame holds 15+1 and fits comfortably in my hand
My Megastar 45 holds 14 or 15 +1 (also it's da/sa), but it's a large gun.

CzCasull

You wouldn't regret taking a look at an FNP45 Tactical for sure.
HG_newfnh_112209A.jpg

Coltman 77

I'd suggest the HK 45 but I think you've answered your own question when you wrote:

"The CZ 97 is another that I have been eyeballing seeing how it's close to the same as my CZ 75B which I love!"

That's probably the direction you should go.

roman3

Ha...the Star Megastar! I had one of those in 10mm. What a beast!

Only my Desert Eagle in 50AE was a bigger gun.

The CZ97 is only 10+1 and IMO is not really much like a CZ75 in feel.

I just learned to love (live with) the large girth of the Glock 21SF.

Skans

Ha...the Star Megastar! I had one of those in 10mm. What a beast!

At one time it was either that or Para Ordinance.....and I didn't want a para Ordinance. Hey, I'd much rather have it in 10mm!!

rsxr22

i would highly recommend an HK. If you have the funds the HK45 is the best deal IMO. Its ergo's are out of this world comfortable and it is as beautiful as a polymer gun can get. If not the USP is also a good option

FN makes a great gun as well, i think if you go FN or HK you will be well served

Xfire68

That FNP45 Tactical looks pretty sweet for sure! :eek: I think my next gun will be a "Military" type gun either in color or function or both? How long is that barrel?

rsxr22

what do you mean by military type pistol? Because FN is making a lot of weapons for the military. But if you wanted to get a .45 that had been used by the military at some point you would need to either go with a 1911 or HK USP