Hi cap mags in post ban gun

PATH

I have been told that you may not under federal law use a 30 round mag in a post ban gun. Is this true or not. I need a law to cite in this argument in order to prove point!

Dizzipator

Boy, this one is a big Big BIG can of worms.

The best quick answer that can be given is that it depends upon where the gun was manufactured, or at least, where a majority of the main parts of the weapon were manufactured, AND, where was the magazine manufactured. (Leaving out, of course, the worry for civilians that the magazine itself be a legal pre-ban magazine.)

If the weapon and the magazine were made entirely within the united states, and the magazine is a legal pre-ban magazine, then there would likely be no legal problem with this set-up. (I suppose I could construct a hypothetical involving an "assault-pistol" that should not have removable magazines or that might be pushed over the weight limit by a 30 rounder :confused:, but for now just assume an AR-15 (post ban) or clone and a pre-1994 magazine then you would have no problems.)

This all gets A LOT more complicated if the weapon is a post-ban import built of imported parts on an american receiver. Then all bets are off and each should be looked at on a case by case, weapon by weapon basis.

[This message has been edited by Dizzipator (edited June 07, 2000).]

Jeff OTMG

Under federal law, you can use any pre-ban full cap mag in any firearm. You are even allowed to modify existing pre-ban full caps to work in post-ban guns (as Armalite does with the 20 round M-14 mag used in their AR-10 rifle).

It is illegal to alter a POST-ban mag to hold more than 10 rounds and NEVER OWN OR USE A POST-BAN FULL CAP MAG IN ANY GUN. You may not legally possess them unless you meet special LEO or military qualifications.