Hi-Cap mag springs

Chipperman

I've read some posts implying that Hi-Cap springs tend to wear out more quickly than Lo-Cap springs.
1. Do you think this is true?
2. Does it apply to single-stack and/or double-stack?
3. Are there variations in brand (ie Glock vs HK vs Sig vs 1911 vs whatever) wearing out more quickly?
4. If a Hi-cap spring does wear out, are replacements easy and legal to get for non-LEO's?
Thanks for your replies. :)

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello,sir. I've been using both low and high capacity magazines for years. The only case of spring fatigue that I ever personally witnessed was with AR15/M16 magazines that'd been left loaded for years. For that reason, if you have one of these arms, I'd download by 4 or 5 rounds rather than compressing the spring fully. I've kept Browning HP magazines loaded for years with no problems and the same for the CZ-75. The longest I recall using the same magazines for defense in a 1911 was about 2 years. I fired the weapon using those magazines, but after cleaning, they were loaded back up to full capacity. No problems. You can buy replacement magazine springs for your high caps legally and can do so from the manufacturer although I'd recommend Wolff gunsprings. Best.

Bullwinkle

I'm on my third set of Mag springs for my 45 Glock in 6 years. When they go soft they dont have the power to get the round up into place for the slide to catch it drive into the chamber. The replacements have been Wolf +10% jobs.

I think the source of the problem is two fold.

1)if you are marketing a Hi-Cap gun the marketers will say the more the better, so they have engineered to the Nth degree to get every last round in resulting in a greater degree of spring compression in a loaded mag and hence fatigue.

2) When a 13 round glock mag is half empty its spring is pushing 6 rounds into place, when a 1911 mag is half empty its only pushing the mass of 4 rounds.

FWIW