heys guys

big daddy 9mm

I am looking at all the 1911 stlye pistols on the other forum and I am wondering.
am I correct in thinking that you can change out sights easily or they custom made for the gun? and also which brand of 1911 do you think is the most modifyable? the reason I am asking is that I really like the low sights on the spring field GI-45 and I want sights like those on other guns. I assume that this is very posisble.......??????? is detonics very changeable?:) :) :)

Majic

It really depends on the make and model of the 1911 and the sights. Some front sights are staked in and some are in a dovetail. The really low rear sights have the slides milled. So you have to look at the 1911 you have or deciding to buy to determine if a certain type of sight will fit or do you have to modify the slide.

stratus

the reason I am asking is that I really like the low sights on the spring field GI-45 and I want sights like those on other guns.

If you want a mil-spec rear sight or something similar, you might want to check out a mil-spec pistol. With the Novak low-mount rear sight (and its look-alikes) as seen with many custom 1911s these days, the modification is irreversible as it requires milling the slide like Majic said.

For an awesome 1911 with few bells and whistles, you can always look at a Colt or a Mil-Spec Springfield. But I really do recommend the Novak rear, some people don't like the look of a wedge-shaped rise in the slide profile, but the sights really do function better and I have found that which sight you use plays a big role in target acquisition and practical shooting proficiency.