Hey man, can I shoot your gun?

USGuns

Anyone else here beside me always say NO when someone at the range asks if they can shoot your gun?

Some folks just don't have respect for other's property and so I just don't take a chance with something that might be used to save my life some day. :rolleyes:

Anyone else agree and have any experiences they'd like to share?

KSFreeman

[set up the kill] "Sure, why not, buddy. You sure are a great shot. You must know a lot about guns."

[the kill] "Of course, there's a fee. These are expensive weapons. How's about $50.00. I charge 25.00 for pistols, 50.00 for rifles or shotguns and 100.00 for SMGs."

Aw, come on, guys. You got to buy education and ammo somehow!

C.R.Sam

Only if I know and trust.

Or...have observed their range and firearms discipline.

And they didn't outright ask.

Sam

Dave R

I don't remember anyone asking to shoot one of my guns. 'Course, I don't own any Kimbers or match-grade M-1A's.

I have never asked anyone if I could shoot their gun, either. But many people have offered.

Usually goes like this.

"Mind if I ask what that is? I have never seen one."

"Its a XXXXXX. Wanna try it?"

Gunnies are pretty friendly people. Probably helps if they see you observing range rules and shooting responsibly, first.

Lictalon

Depends...mostly on who's around.

If there are a ton of people at the range, then I usually feel pretty safe...but if I'm there by myself, I never allow it, unless I know the person. I have this horrible vision of myself handing my sidearm to someone, and then having them turn around and aim it at me...

So...Say no. It's safer. Besides, what if your weapon chooses that moment to blow up? Can you imagine the liability? ;)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'll second Dave R's post.

I've got some fairly eclectic guns in my collection. Some folks have never shot a Mateba, or a 625 in .45 ACP or a compact 10mm Glock.

If they're looking or asking questions, I'll usually offer to let them shoot it, as long as they don't look like they've just escaped from the booby hatch or something.

mpthole

Never had anyone ask. But I have had people make me the offer to shoot their guns and in that case I usually take them up on it. I have made the offer to a couple folks, but most have declined.

I think if someone came up and just asked me that question I'd have to say a polite, "No".

Ledbetter

Same as (C R) Sam and Dave (R)

Never had anybody outright ask.

There's times when I almost always offer, and they include when a parent has a kid out for some .22 shooting. I will always try to be friendly to the kid and offer to let them try my .22's, after observing them and then asking the parent first.

I love seeing them shoot a tuned-up 10/22 or my Browning Buck Mark Gold. And I just love being able to help them shoot just a little bit better and enjoy the range a little bit more.

The other time I will always offer is if another shooter has a gun I want to shoot. This is the way I have got to shoot black powder guns, Glocks, Desert Eagles and other guns not in my collection.

I also love it when I enjoy the range just a little bit more :)

Indy_SIG

Some folks just don't have respect for other's property

This was the salient point in the post. In a better day in our country, people had respect for the property of others. The question wouldn't have been comtemplated, let alone asked. I find the mere thought of someone asking to be quite rude.

The saying "Neither a borrower or lender be" applies well here. Shoot your own guns, and let them shoot theirs.

ojibweindian

Several years ago while at a shooting range near Normandy Lake in Manchester, Tn, a couple of fairly scruffy looking individuals drove up just before the end of my session, begging me to let then shoot my pistol.

"Nope."

"Why?"

"Because I don't know you. Therefore, I don't trust you."

After a few muttered epithets flung my way, they left; so did I.

Kharn

My rifles? Yes. My sidearm? Not unless I am with a large group of my friends, all of whom are carrying.

I dont have much in the way of exotic stuff, so I dont get asked very often, but when people see my GF shooting her Mauser they seem to be intrigued and ask to give it a shot. She usually lets them, if they arent blasting gangster rap from the boombox on their bench.

Kharn

I don't think asking to shoot someone else's gun is a sign of disrespect or rude. It isn't like they are asking for a night with your spouse. Somebody picking up your gun and shooting is without permission would be another matter. Of course if asked, it is not rude for the gun owner to refuse.

There are some people who happen to enjoy the shooting experience and have no problem with sharing what they have, offered or asked. There are others who don't even want you speaking to them.

Kirk Keller

I'll second Tamara

who seconded DaveR. I'm usually more than happy to let someone, whom I've watched firing their own weapon, fire mine. Like most things, it's rude to ask, but if there is an interest I'm usually happy to let them burn a mag of ammo.

On the other side of the coin, I was at my favorite FFL picking up my new Kimber the other day. I had picked up the weapon and was putting it in the back of my SUV when some skanky 20-25 year old pops up around the back door of my SUV (I was trying to be discreet) and says "What'd you get there? Is that a Kimber?"

I just about crapped myself 'cause he managed to sneak up on me. I replied that it was .45 as I shut and locked the door.

I left shortly after that and was watching my six all the way home, just in case.

gbelleh

No one's ever asked, but I'd say no if they did.

Last time I went shooting, my friend brought his new SP89. It seems people around here aren't used to hearing 31 continuous shots out of a pistol.
Almost everyone at the range was watching us every time we shot it. People seemed very interested in it and I thought for sure the guys next to us were going to ask to shoot it, but they didn't.

Generally, if I don't get any willies from the person, and if they've been shooting at the range themselves, I say yes.

If there's any untoward gun handling, I inform them politely that the range session is over.

spacemanspiff

i've noticed that everyone at the range is more than just friendly, theres a lot of respect shown, as long as everyones behaving in a safe manner. i've been able to ask for advice and get a lot of questions answered. depending on the person, they usually ask if i want to try what they have. i'll reciprocate as well. one guy was more than anxious to have me try out his uzi. that fulfilled a childhood dream.
but i also make sure that i dont use up another persons ammo. i usually have several boxes with me and will load up out of my own supply. small price to pay if someone is generous enough to let you experiment with their guns.

WyldOne

I don't think asking to shoot someone else's gun is a sign of disrespect or rude.

um, I think it sounds disrespectful. Putting it into a context that I can grip, if some random stranger came up to me and asked me if they could drive my car, I would see that as disrespectful (to say the least).

Presuming the person asking the question doesn't know you, what business do they have asking if they can touch anything of yours? And why are they talking to you anyway? (or is that just part of the east-coaster in me?)

Kentucky Rifle

It's the same as asking if they can ride my motorcycle.

I rarely get asked, "Can I ride your motorcycle"? or "Can I shoot your gun"?

NOPE!
Anybody with a lick of sense wouldn't ask such a question.

Kentucky Rifle