Hey Guys I need the input of experienced wheelgunners....Attn. All Cowboy Shooters!!!

dw

Ok guys my dad is looking to buy a .45 long colt. He wants something that shoots good and is reasonably price. By reasonable i think somewhere around 425 or less. Someone told me that a Cimmeron Mod p was a decent gun at a decent price. But my dad is thinking about a volsquero sp?. So my request from you experience shooters is just you input on either the 45 long colt you choose to shoot or what you know about a decently priced gun. He also wants to know if he needs adj. sights to shoot good with it? We are both in the dark on the whole older style of guns. So any info will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
derek

DW,

I think you're asking about the Ruger Vaquero (that means Cowboy in Spanish).

Quite frankly, if I were to get a "cowboy" type gun, it would be a Vaquero.

They're extremely well made, and they are not expensive at all.

Jay Baker

If you want adjustable sights, then get the Ruger Blackhawk, and shoot in the "Modern" division of SASS. If you want the old timey vaquero look, then get the Ruger Vaquero. They'll also take very strong loads for hunting, if you want.

I believe the word, "buckaroo", derived from "el vaquero".

J.B.

beemerb

Another option that is good-uberti-They make the colt saa and are probably the closest to authentic you will find.

The Ruger is a much stronger gun, but it is uglier than heck. For just plinking cowboy loads, nothing beats the price and looks of the Cimmeron. It is about a close to the real deal as you can get without going broke. And actually is a attractive firearm that you can show your friends with pride. At about mid three hundred range, great value.

FronChar.jpg

Robert

James K

Member In Memoriam
I like the looks of the Cimarron, but reliable reports indicate that they will not stand up to extensive shooting. The Ruger should take all the shooting anyone is ever likely to give it. I do not consider the Colt SAA as the new ones are simply too expensive (IMHO) and the old ones too valuable to shoot. I have no experience with the Colt Cowboy.

Jim

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Vaquero ugly?!?!?

I'll stand for that being said about my Glocks, but my bright stainless 4 5/8" Bisley Vaquero is the prettiest gun around. (in my completely unbiased opinion... ;) )

big89foot

You might want to check out the American Western Arms "Longhorn." It is getting a lot of good reviews from the cowboys over on the SASS Wire.

dreadnaught

Vaquero Vaquero Vaquero! Go to a Cowboy shoot and figure out what % of shooters DONT carry a brace of Rugers. 'Nuff said.

bryoon

I am in the same market for reasonably priced Six shooter. I think I have almost made my mind on Ruger Vaquero also. Now I am going to try shoot some cowboy matches & take it with me when I go to mountain as protection gun. What length of barrel do most people prefer & what kind of finish do people prefer? Thanks for your comments in advance.
bryoon

Ron Ankeny

Don't overlook the Ruger Bisley, the grip might suit you better. Cimmaron revolvers are made by Uberti and they are pretty decent for the money, but Jim is right, they don't hold up as well as the Ruger.

Bruce Dane

dw,

I also would recommend the Ruger Vaquero. They're right in your price range, strong and reliable, and shoot reasonably well. They don't have quite the exact "feel" of a real Colt SAA but for fun shooting at a reasonable price they're hard to beat.