Herter's .308

Tucker 1371

Anybody used this stuff? I'm pondering buying 1k rounds from Cabela's online for the M1A I just put on layaway but I'm not sure how well it would function. Anyone have experience with steel cased ammo in M1As?

Jimro

It is rebadged "wolf".

It works fine for most semi-auto 308's, but has a reputation for sticking in bolt action chambers. YMMV

Jimro

Jo6pak

I bought 1000 rounds of Herter's 5.56NATO. I've put a few mags thru the DR200 and it seems to be consistent and accurate enough. I suspect the .308 should be OK.

THORN74

if its truely rebranded wolf ..it will work fine. i put 500 rounds thru my M1A scout at an appleseed back in april. aside from a few (like five i think) FTF and some pretty tough buildup to clean out. the clear coat on the steel cases gets pretty built up in the gun.

to the op: not sure the price ur getting the herters for, but u should check out AMMOSEEK.COM. u can find great prices on there lots of mil surplus

THORN74

didnt take too long .... just cleaned it like normal ....hoppes 9, bore snake, and thurough wipe down and greese . think i did the scrub and clean 3 times before the greese.

Idempotent

For what it's worth, I was just at the S&W factory range earlier today and they had a sign on the door specifically saying that Herter's ammo was not allowed. Maybe they think it does more damage to their backstop of something. So that might be a consideration if you shoot at picky ranges.

44 AMP

Staff
I realize its your pocketbook, but I won't shoot steel through any gun I care about, with the exception of Combloc designs.

I won't say it will hurt your gun, it probably won't. I just don't care to take the risk for myself. Besides, I'm a dedicated reloader, so I benefit twice (or more) from shooting brass (boxer primed brass, that is).