Herrett's Custom Bill Jordan Trooper grips- Yea or Nay?

Chuck Dye

My Redhawk is a 7½ inch Hunter (KRH44R) with a Leupold 2x EER mounted over the barrel. I have gone through the factory rosewood and several aftermarket rubber grips without getting really comfortable. I am about to risk the $100+ on the custom Herrett Jordan Trooper grip. Input from anyone owning the Jordan Trooper grip or any Herrett custom grip would be appreciated.

knzn

Pachmayr used to make a Bill Jordan model of grips (they were a hard plastic instead of the soft rubber you would normally associate with pachmayr) and I have a pair mounted on my Model 27 right now. IF Herrits are sized the sames as mine made by Pachmayr, they are quite large.

I do have large hands, larger than most of my friends, wear XL gloves and all that, and will say that these grips I have are too large for double action shooting. I do like them for single action target shooting and that is what I am doing right now with my 27.

Quantrill

After meeting Bill Jordan at Camp Perry and watching him "perform", I was all hot to get a pair of "Jordan Troopers" from Herrets. The theory was, according to Jordan, that if you drew your revolver and your hand position on the revolver was not correct, those grips would help your hand slip into the correct position enabling you to always have the same consistent grip necessary for accurate shooting. I never did get the "Jordan Troopers", my days of drawing a gun for serious social reasons being over. Jordan did have those grips on his Border Patrol issued model 19 when I met him in the late 1960s. Quantrill

Slip Shooter

Huck,

I have a pair of the Pachmayr hard plastic Bill Jordan Grips.

They are great in every way for two handed hip shooting from the chest while sighting over the top of the barrel. As far as taking a target stance they just dont point properly for me. I have to break my wrist downward when doing so.

If I ever get a S&W M19 2 1/2 inch revolver, I'll probably put them on it, and put it on the night stand.

nharrold

I have the Bill Jordan Trooper grips on a S&W Model 66 that I bought many years ago when they first came out. Haven't fired it a lot, but I do feel that the grips made the experience much milder and more enjoyable. I tried to convince Pachmayr to make them out of their soft rubber rather than the hard synthetic, but they just weren't interested in doing so. But I'd buy them again if I had a suitable gun to put them on.

Sam06

They are Big. I have big hands(I can Palm a Basket ball) and I find them big. My 7.5" Redhawk has a set of Herret Roper grips on it. I like them a little better than the Jordan style YMMV. The Ropers are a little smaller but still fill the hand. They position my hand just about right for the big redhawk(Mine is scoped and is my hunting pistol).

Sam

CraigC

I agree that all the available rubber grip designs for the Redhawk are useless. Too long and narrow. Just bear in mind that the Jordan Trooper was designed to enclose the rather svelte S&W K grip frame. Bill Jordan had HUGE hands and I seriously doubt that same design would've worked for him on the big Redhawk. I would send a hand tracing to Herrett's and actually talk to them on the phone before deciding on which design you want.

SIGSHR

I thought the virtue of the Jordan grips was the arched backstrap which he said was more comfortable.

madcratebuilder

I have a pair of Pachmayr hard plastic Bill Jordan's on a M29 4" and like them. How the translates to a SRH I don't know. They are a large grip that takes a nice two hand hold.
44mag.jpg

I have tried a few different grips on my SRH and have gone back to the oem rubber with a stag insert.

Tom2

I did that bit once a long time ago. Traced my hand and sent the thing to Herrets for some K frame grips of the Jordan pattern. I do have fairly large hands too. Not gigantic ham fists. The walnut grips I got back were made perfectly and were very attractive. They were very wide front to back but not so much side to side. Well they just did not feel right to me like that and got the trade-off. But I do have some sort of little Herrets for a J frame. Not at all like your normal concealment finger groove super combat types. Sort of oval cross section, flat on the bottom and checkered. Those do feel pretty nice on a J RB revolver. I took them off as I was afraid they were getting scuffed up a bit. Once checkering is ruined, it is not replaceable by sanding!

texagun

Bill Jordan had HUGE hands. I had a pair of Jordan grips on a S&W 625 and they didn't work for me. They were just TOO big. Try them before you buy them.

CraigC

Bill Jordan had HUGE hands. I had a pair of Jordan grips on a S&W 625 and they didn't work for me. They were just TOO big. Try them before you buy them.
Can't emphasize that enough. Folks just don't realize that Bill Jordan was 6' 6" tall and his hands were monstrous. Even out of proportion to his height and were so large he could not find gloves to fit. Quoted by Skeeter Skelton as saying that size 13's (I wear size 9) were far too small. His famous grip was designed around the little K-frame grip frame so that he could more effectively wield his favored model 19. So I have to wonder how many shooters really need a set of Jordan Troopers on their S&W's, let alone Redhawks.

Chuck Dye

A lot of folks are missing some key points:

Size. The grips I have in mind will be custom made. If I ever actually do the deed, they will be cut to dimensions obtained from an outline drawn from my hand. Mr. Jordan's dimensions do not apply.

Source. Comparing Pachmayr's mass production grips to Herrett's custom grips does not make sense to me except to whatever extent the shapes are the same. I certainly would, though, like to hear from anyone who has gone from the Pachmayr to the Herrett custom.

CraigC

That's precisely why I suggested sending your hand tracing to Herrett's and speaking to them on the phone to see what they recommend.

If I ever actually do the deed, they will be cut to dimensions obtained from an outline drawn from my hand. Mr. Jordan's dimensions do not apply.
Yes, but the design itself implies a certain size to begin with because it has to completely enclose the grip frame. The wood will also have to have enough thickness for strength. The Redhawk grip frame is very large to begin with.

Claddagh

I've purchased at least a dozen pairs of made-to-measure stocks for various handguns from Herrett's over the years. I've never had the slightest cause to regret the purchase price with any of them.

In every instance they've improved both the appearance of the piece and my ability to shoot it more comfortably and precisely. In several cases, the difference was quite remarkable, especially in DA revolver work.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Bill Jordan was 6'10" and could palm a beach ball. If your hands are the same size as his, you'll love his grips.

CraigC

As I said before, according to a 1969 Shooting Times article by Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan was 6' 6" tall. Not 6' 10".

All you really have to do is look at the cover of his book, "No Second Place Winner". Look at how huge his right hand is in relation to his body and then remember that he was six and a half feet tall.

Tom2

Wow he keeps getting bigger and taller with each telling! Now he is Paul Bunyan? Yep, he wore his Smith round his neck like a charm on a necklace and had to have the front of the trigger guard cut off cause his fingers were the size of Polish sausages. His grips were made from the buttstock of a Winchester model 70 and he needed tweezers to load his gun. He carried his shotgun in a holster instead of his revolver. Waded the Rio Grande without getting his ankles wet. Well still, I said, I had my grips made to a tracing and they were still way big for me!

Murdock

Jordan grips

I was causing injury to my gun hand when shooting field pistol silhouette several years ago with my S&W M24 with Keith loads (17.5 of #2400 with 240-grain SWC's).

Jordan Trooper stocks were the answer, as they put the bulk of the recoil force into my palm rather than into the base of the thumb, just as Jordan articulated in No Second Place Winner. I now own several sets in plastic and wood for K- and N-frame Smiths.

My glove size is 9, and the grips do feel a smidgen big for one-hand shooting of an N-frame, but are still very reasonable and much better than Smith target grips. They are superb for two hand shooting of an N-frame. I find them to be nearly perfect on K-frames regardless of one- or two-hand operation, but YMMV.