Here's what I'm looking for (dreaming???)

brianidaho

I'm looking for a new gun. Primarily concealled carry and (informal) target shooting. I'm trying to get to the range at least once a week, want OK accuracy and moderate recoil. While my primary defensive concern is 2 legged critters, I live and hike in cougar country, this is an issue. Heres what I'm looking for in a handgun-any ideas:

1. Caliber: 45acp (preferred)or 40.

2. Steel frame and slide (would consider alloy), no polymer. This is a personal preference only-I like the craftsmanship and appearance associated with a metal frame. The polys are a great tool (I'll concede-probably the best for a defense weapon), I just don't care for them.

3. SA or DA/SA action, able to carry cocked and locked. No "safe-action" or dao. Fair to good SA trigger, I don't really care on the DA side.

4. Frame mounted safety-also personal preferance, I feel I can access them better.

5. Mid size (say a Commander or Springfield Compact) 7 1/2" or shorter.

6. Narrow slide (1911-ish). Both for concealability and IMO better looking. I'm more concerned about slide width than through the grip, I have fairly large hands. Slide width seems like more of an issue with a IWB holster.

7. Tough, good looking finish (more durable than blue). Stainless, nickle, ??.

8. Reliable.

9. Less than $400.

I'd really like a good compact 1911, but a Kimber is out of my price range right now. Does anyone make a decent quality one in my price range. I'm not a complete dreamer, don't expect a "match-quality" gun for this price.

I'm currently considering a Witess compact in their "Wonderfinish", seems like a heck of a value for $279. I've got a polymer, want a steel one this time. What else is out there that I should be considering, with these guidelines.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, sir. I am not a forty fan, but you specified forty or forty-five, preferring the latter.

I think that the CZ75B is available in .40 S&W. As you likely know, it is a DA/SA autopistol that has a frame-mounted safety that works in the "right" direction and is capable of "cocked and locked" carry.

I believe that these can be had for just under $400.

I've owned CZ75s since '84 and think that they are well-made, reliable, and accurate.

I've not owned a CZ in anything other than 9mm so I cannot speak to the forty from personal experience, but am considering getting one myself.

Hope this is of some use.

Best.

brianidaho

Stephan, from everything I've read on this forum the CZ-75 is a great gun, I'd like one. However, according to their catalog only the full-size CZ-75B is available in 40, the compact is 9mm only. I haven't talked with anyone there to verify this. The 97B (45) is also only available in a full-size from what I see-at 8.3 in. long and 40 oz, its a little bigger than I want. I like the slightly more rounded frame and slide on the CZ, the Witness does have lots of sharp corners.

Bri

[This message has been edited by brianidaho (edited September 27, 2000).]

Bandit

You described almost to a "T" a CZ75B chambered in .40 S&W except it's not considered a midsize weapon. I would like to see CZ come out with a Compact chambered for .40 S&W but so far it's only available in 9MM. The full size CZ isn't any harder to conceal than a 1911 I normally carry. At under $400 (usually around $350) the CZZ is the best bang for your buck IMO.

For a .45 I would reccomend a Springfield Armory Champion but you will pay about $200 more for it over the CZ. I recently picked one up in stainless for $585 It's currently at my local pistolsmith for some custom touches I prefer on the 1911 design for carry.

------------------
Rick

J. Parker

Hey Brian, you're in bear country too, right? I'm right next door in Wasnington. Your guidelines are pretty tough. The closest I can get in .45 cal is a Ruger P-90 in stainless. There're great pistols. Just a suggestion. Best, J. Parker

kstoneking

I have to agree with JParker, I love my P90 in .45. Tough, reliable and stainless. Many, many rounds fired with NO malfunctions of any kind. The slide may be a little wide for your tastes though.

------------------
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."...George Orwell

EricO

Brianidaho: Your list of preferences looks like a request for a small version (officers, cmdr., champion, etc) of the 1911 although the price would be higher than you've allowed.
I don't quite understand why you've mentioned no DAO's or Glock safe action, afterall, these handguns have the same trigger pull for each shot, an advantage some feel over the traditional DA, where only the first round (often the most telling one) is DA, than subsequent rounds are SA. I believe it's because you want a safety, which quickly led me to the Smith and Wesson autoloaders (which have had a decent size of the LE market and have a good record of reliability) but no, they have a slide mounted safety.
You wrote that you don't care about the DA trigger pull - why? If you're carrying a trad. DA semi, round chambered, and hammer down, you're first round will be triggered off with the DA pull, it needs to be good!
In that price range, I'm not too familiar with you're choices, but if it were higher, there's always the Sig 245 (I believe that's the number for the small .45acp), a Sig 229 in .40S&W, several S & W choices (if you can live with either the slide mounted safety or their DAO versions) such as the 4566, 4516, 457 etc, etc. Of course there are the numerous 1911's also.
There are several dealers that handle large numbers of LE trade-ins. This might be a decent alternative also.
If you must carry with a manual safety to be removed prior to discharging, than of course the Sig's would be off the list.

EricO

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Is it just me - or did you describe a Springfield V-10?
px9171.jpg

I've seen a couple for sale Used for not much more than what you got. Wait another 2 weeks for that next paycheck for the difference and get the gun you really want... while your waiting - do some shopping around.
If you dont get the gun you REALLY WANT - your wasting a lot of money because you will still want the first gun and you wont be happy until you get that ONE... And you'll end up buying that ONE at full price.

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited September 28, 2000).]

Marcus

Sounds like a Witness .40 Compact to me. You already have a .45 Witness poly right? The .40 is smaller frame and should have a slimmer slide and it meets all the other criteria. Marcus

cplane

While you are looking, Consider a Charles Daly 1911. I got one for $399 but since I found mine , I have seen them for around $349.00. Look on gunbroker.com they have several variations to choose from. I bought the Mid sized and it conceals well plus has great accuracy.They also offer a compact version. I think you would be happy with it. Check out the 1911forum.com also .

Pj0759@aol.com

I would have to agree with George..sounds like the Springfield V-10 fits the deal. It is a great pistol that packs alot of power in a small package IMHO...PJ

beemerb

I would hold up and save another 100$ and pick up a Sig P 245.IF you get a chance to shoot one you will find it fills the bill.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

Ben

That Springfield might set him back more than $400.00 as will this Kahr. Most 1911's-designs are going to set you back a bit more.

You said you'd consider a 40 cal? Look at a Kahr 40. May have to be USED to fit under your price cap. It's the ONLY slim, all steel, compact gun I can think of right off the bat that MAY fall in your price range.
k4043ud.gif

Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target" http://ben.gunsnet.net
Different, just like everyone else. (Ben Original)

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited September 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited September 28, 2000).]

brianidaho

Thanks for all the good input. George, the Springfield V10 ultracompact was the gun I had picked out prior to purchasing my first Witness. I've yet to handle one, no one in my area has one in stock. Really like the appearance and features, from the catalog... I see lots of people recommending the Kimber over the Springfield. Shot a Kimber compact at a local range, really liked it. Over my budget at the current time, but plan on one (compact 1911, not necessarily the Kimber) some day. Half the fun of the game is getting the education. FWIW at this point of my education and skill level I'm really looking for value as I really define what I like, will zero in on what I really want. Most of the "brand name" 1911's (Kimber, SA, Para) seem to start around $575-625 around here.

EricO, my reason about not being too concerned about the DA pull is that I plan to carry condition 1. I also rented a Glock and DAO Para, didn't do nearly as well as with the SA. Practice would undoubtably close the gap. I've seen lots of posts about people that have learned to shoot well with a Glock, but few that say they can do better or learn to do well as quickly as with a 1911.

40boy, the Taurus is kinda appealing as well, I like the conventional safety as well as decocker. Teardown feature is nice as well. I looked at a 945, alloy frame as I recall. How reliable are they and do they hold up well over time?

I've heard of the Firestar before-never seen one. Any comments about reliability, accuracy. Any links to their web page-I haven't been able to fine one.

Still learning and having fun, please keep the posts coming.

Brian

------------------
I will choose a path thats clear-I will choose freewill-Neal Pert

I swear-by my life and my love of it-that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine-Ayn Rand

[This message has been edited by brianidaho (edited September 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by brianidaho (edited September 29, 2000).]

Jeff OTMG

I have the Firestar in .40 with Starvel finish. Reliability is good, I have not had any problem with mine and it is plenty accurate. A little on the small side to do much target work with. I did not like the mag disconnect and non-drop free features so I corrected that. Trigger pull isn't as good as a 1911, but what do you expect for under $300. Star is no longer imported and I believe that they were merged with Astra by the Spainish govt a few years ago. The mags were made by MecGar and are available from CDNN. If you want one you will have to track one down through Gun List or at a gun show because anybody that I know who owns one isn't selling unless George wants to get rid of his. I suggest that you search TFL for Firestar for more info.

slickpuppy

I have shot a friends EAA Witness Compact in .45 a bit considering it isn't my gun. :) I was really surprised with how accurate and well made it is. Trigger pull is really good on this particular one - I have heard that some are horrible. Tanfoglio makes some darned good guns. I have put about 300 rounds through my friend's Witness in the past 8 months or so and it keeps getting better. He uses it for concealed carry and a truck gun.

Danny45

Ditto on what slickpuppy said. The E.A.A. Witness is a great pistol for the money. Mine was a full size but they do have a compact that fits the bill. Plus, it gives you the option of cocked and locked or hammer down DA/SA. And around here, they sell for about 310.00 after tax. For about 40.00 more, you can get it in the "wonder finish". Looks like a electroless nickel. Good luck.

------------------
"Charlton Heston is my President"

Danny45
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, Buckmasters Life Member