Heres the rest of the collection

SgtGunner

These are a few new "old" Smiths I got yesterday. All are pre1960 from what I am told although I am doing research to get exact dates of manufacture.
There is an 8 3/8inch model 48-3 in 22mrf (whatever that is)
a 3 1/2inch model 51 also 22 mrf (no dash) and a 4inch 15-3 in .38S&W special (whatever that is) and the snub that I havnt figured out yet.

not bad for $550 I think.

Attachments

• smiths1.jpg
    smiths1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 236

C.R.Sam

The 48 was made from 1959-1968, cartridge is Winchester Magnum Rimfire.

48-3 was introduced in 1967.

The 51 was made from 1960 to 1974, same cartridge.

.38 S&W special is the currant and common .38 special.

The .22 Magnum is a longer cartridge than the .22 Long rifle, slightly larger diameter. Should NOT shoot .22 short, long or long rifle in it. They will be loose in the chambers and probably split the cases.

Sam.

SgtGunner

thanks for the info sam

makes my research much less time consuming and irritating. These are definately some pretty guns. If only my photography could do them justice.

maybe someday "sigh"

FPrice

SgtGunner...

I have a S&W M&P that looks a lot like yours. Mine has (I think, am at work and will have to check tonight) a C prefix and was verified by Roy Jinks as being shipped in Sept 1949, the same month I was born. This made mine kinda neat.

Nahas' and Supica's book on S&W's should help date your collection. If you plan on collecting more Smiths', this is a MUST for your reading pleasure and historical research.

SgtGunner

I think I will start to accumulate old smiths. now where can this book be had?

I will probably keep my interests to viable self defense calibers, cause I am a shooter not a collector, 22s and such for me are not too interesting. My mark 2 fills that bill.

FPrice

The book is,

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson - Second Edition" by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It seems like all of the S&W experts on TFL have it.