here's one for ya.

darkgael

Found this in a box of surplus cartridges today. Any one know what guns were used for it. Headstamp reads Remington UMC .22 Luger.
22Luger-1.jpg

Pete
PS - Sorry, the picture posted originally was the wrong cartridge.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Please post a picture of the headstamp!

I've been collecting cartridges for 30 years now and I have NEVER heard of this one.

If you find another one in that box of cartridges, PM me and we'll talk money.

darkgael

Nah.

I think that we can forget this one as curious as it is. I am posting a picture but, upon close examination, the numbers are a different font and struck differently.

This cartridge and some others came the estate of an old gentleman who passed away a couple of years ago. He was a master machinist, an inventor and tinkerer with four patents to his name. I know that he made other cartridges and the guns to fire them. This may have been one of his other efforts.The bullet is lead.
I wish that I knew if he'd made a gun for this but those things were sold off shortly after his death in 2009.
Pic (not a great pic either):
22Lugerheadstamp.jpg

Pete

jonnyc

I kind of thought it might be a wildcat. Still of great interest in the cartridge world. A collector of wildcat rounds would love it.

Jim Watson

In the 1960s there was a wildcat that looked a lot like that, the .22 Goldstein Luger. Jerry Goldstein necked down some 9mm and/or .30 Luger to .22 and put a barrel for it on a P08. I never saw but the one magazine article and did not think it had gone any farther.

I do not recall him editing headstamps but he might have.
Or this might be a factory product with an improvised headstamp bunter giving the differences you describe. (I can't see the headstamp in the picture well enough to read.)

James K

Member In Memoriam
What a kick in the old memory bank! I hadn't thought of that .22 Luger for years, though I now recall the article. Those "concept" guns get made or maybe mocked up, written up in some gunzine, and disappear. The idea of a bottleneck high power small bore pistol round is not a bad one (anyone thinking Five seveN here?) but using a dead end and finicky platform like the Luger would, IMHO, be pointless.

Jim