Here's a question you've probably never heard...

LordTio3

I'm shooting my 5" Target Model Walther P22 at the range, and the barrel weight screws fall out of the barrel weight...
2659301_med.gif

...those there in the end. Upon further inspection, they are Allen-wrench screws that the previous owner (unbeknown-st to me) had overtightened them and stripped the bit sockets for the wrench in the heads of the screws.

I know, right?

So my question is, where the heck do I go to get replacements for these screws? I've tried looking online for them, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells them outside of the entire 5" barrel extension package.

Can anyone help me?

~LT

kurmudgon

Metric, I take it?
Take the screw to a hardware store first and try to match it.
Failing that try a bolt supply company.
They should be in one or the other.

I wouldn't think they are a special fastener just for Walther.

Best, Kur

Coach Z

I'd second the call to smith idea, I'm sure they'll fix you up

As a general note if you guys are ever looking for odd screws chck out Mcmaster.com They are an industrial supply place that has damn near everything

LordTio3

Also, I have one word for you: Loctite.

The problem with using Loctite to get them to stay, is that you have to remove them in order to field strip the weapon. Which is probably why they're stripped anyway. I bought the weapon and it was almost new, but from what I've seen, the guy spent 10 times as much time cleaning and drooling on the thing than actually shooting it. I'll try some local hardware stores to see if they can help. It'd be great to find some that aren't Allen Screws that'd still fit flush. Barring that working, I'll be calling Smith and Wesson.

Thanks for all the help.

~LT

Opinated

Remember that the screws have (male) threads but those screws also go into a (female) threaded hole. If the screw threads are damaged, the female threads are also likely to be damaged. If the female threads are in material that can be tapped, not excessively hardened, those threads can be repaired using Helicoils. See their website. If not comfortable doing the coil inserts on your own, a machine shop can quickly do them. Or a gunsmith.
All the threads must be in good condition to hold properly.

carguychris

The problem with using Loctite to get them to stay, is that you have to remove them in order to field strip the weapon. Which is probably why they're stripped anyway.
Oh, I didn't know that. That's surprising- seems like a poor design decision (maybe I'm preaching to the choir). ;)
...from what I've seen, the guy spent 10 times as much time cleaning and drooling on the thing than actually shooting it.
:rolleyes:
If the female threads are in material that can be tapped... those threads can be repaired using Helicoils... If not comfortable doing the coil inserts on your own, a machine shop can quickly do them. Or a gunsmith.
Or S&W. For free. ;)

JWT

Why would anyone touch these screws? I don't believe they need to be loosened to clean the gun. (mine is the shrt version, not the target model).M Even if you do, blue loctite should not be a problem. Just make sure you use the correct size allen wrench and the blue (not the red) loctite.

Yankee Doodle

Cheap, fast & dirty way to solve the problem. Do it all the time.
Use a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut a slot in the screw head. You can then cold blue for appearance, and use a regular screwdriver to remove and replace the screws.
Like I said, "cheap, fast & dirty"

Coach Z

If the screw threads are damaged, the female threads are also likely to be damaged

On my p22 this wasn't the case, those screws are REALLY soft material.

something even a little less than the blue loctite would be a small dab of your ole lady's finger nail polish

Loctite makes a low strength compound (less then blue) it's purple. A lot of times in walmart in the automotive section you can find a three pack variety of loctite Red, Blue, and Purple. Very small vials and IIRC it's less than $5 for the pack.

LordTio3 said:
The problem with using Loctite to get them to stay, is that you have to remove them in order to field strip the weapon. Which is probably why they're stripped anyway.
There are various degrees of "hold" available in Loctite. Red is the super hold that needs heat to remove. That's for large fasteners that aren't intended to be taken apart. Blue is medium strength and does not require heat to disassemble. And purple is light hold, for small fasteners. What you would want is the purple.

Don Glock

that's why you use the non-permanent lock tite (blue or green) ;)