Heres a pretty decent scope for under $100.00

PoorRichRichard

Interested... Tell me more about it. Possible personal experience? Think I could zero in a clay at 300 yards on my Savage Edge 30-06 with this scope? I'd love more power and accuracy than the stock Bushnell the gun came with.

PawPaw

Think I could zero in a clay at 300 yards on my Savage Edge 30-06 with this scope?

I don't know about that scope, but there are plenty out there in the sub-$200 range that will let you do that. I have a fixed Weaver 6X on my Savage .30-06 and it lets me shoot to 300 yards easily. It's got plenty of power and resolution for that yardage.

For just a little over one hundred dollars, the Simmons Whitetail is a real sleeper. We've got several of them in the family and they've served well on light rifles and heavy kickers alike. 300 yards is well within the capabilities of this scope.

For abut $150.00, the Nikon Prostaff is a hard one to beat for general hunting duties. Lots of guys who have it, love it.

We're living in a great age for affordable rifles and affordable optics. Even bargain-basement rifles are capable of accuracy only dreamed about 20 years ago. The optics we have these days are much better too, and those who scoff at the lower-riced optics don't realize what we had to put up with 20 or 30 years ago.

However, the optics don't make a rifleman. The question of whether you could hit a clay target at 300 yards is dependent on your skill, not the rifle or the optics that we have today. The vast majority of the equipment today is certainly capable of the task.

FrankenMauser

The Pentax Gameseekers have a reputation as being a pretty decent,reliable scope for the money,and even though many here will immediately declare them to be garbage due to their Chinese manufacturing others who need a scope and don't want to pay a small fortune may be interested.

I gave the Gameseeker model line consideration earlier this year. ...until I learned two things:
1. The only half-decent thing about these scopes is the Pentax name; and that's just on these scopes because the actual manufacturer is paying for the rights.

2. They're complete junk. I was able to get my hands on a couple of them at a local store. They are absolute pieces of crap.

You're better off with a Tasco World Class or Pronghorn, knowing that Tasco will go bankrupt and disappear (again) within the next 3 years, than you are with any of the Pentax scopes. In some cases, you might even be better off with a Daisy air gun scope. :rolleyes:

There are far better choices near the $100 price point. Stay away from any Pentax scope in the "economy" price range.

Te Anau

^^^^ Holy Cow!
That runs contrary to everything I've ever read about the Gameseeker scopes from Pentax.And no,I personally don't own one but have come darn close several times.

woody wood

ive have a pentax gameseeker and not a gameseeker 2.
have used it on my mosin and on a saiga 308 and have held up fine.
not sure what longterm will hold but for the price it seems fine.
i do need to buy 3 more scopes and do not want to break the bank.
thinking about nikon prostaff as a better entry model, but i can get about 2 for the price of one with pentax.
sportsman guide is local for me so if one fails,i can return it.they are good with returns.
..so may get a 2 pentax and one prostaff.
opticsplanet.com has good prices on all scopes.also they have reviews to read just like sportsmanguide.

Jimro

Pentax made in the Phillipines are good. Same factory that produces Burris Fullfield II IIRC.

Pentax made in China is a crapshoot. Some companies can get good quality out of China (such as Vortex) and some can't (such as Tasco). I wouldn't bet my money on a Pentax made in China when a Pentax made in the Phillipines isn't that much more.

Jimro

wingman

One of the best low cost Chinese made scopes on the market is the Mueller APV cost around $129, more clear then my Nikon's.

Fishbed77

One of the best low cost Chinese made scopes on the market is the Mueller APV cost around $129, more clear then my Nikon's.

I own a Mueller APV. The glass is actually Japanese, with final manufacturing in China. It's really a pretty decent scope - nicely finished and a raging bargain at the $122 I paid for it. It works great on my 10/22, and I've heard of folks using them very sucessfully on AR-15s.

warbirdlover

Muellers are only assembled in China. The parts (lenses etc) are made in Japan.

They are excellent scopes but a little on the heavy side although for the money you can't beat them. I had a 4-16 X 50AO lighted dot on my .300 Win Mag for two years and no problems. I just went to lighter ProStaff 3-9 X 40 Nikons on my rifles. Great scopes.

madcratebuilder

Another Mueller fan boy here. I have an APV on my rimfire and it see's a lot of knob turning. It has been a fantastic scope for me for six years plus. I have a TAC II on a M1A, been gtg for the past four years, over 1.2K rounds and considerable knob turning.

zippy13

For just a little over one hundred dollars, the Simmons Whitetail [midwayusa.com] is a real sleeper.
^ditto^
They went for a little less at Midway's year-end sale. My only caveat is with the Mil-Dot reticle version. Since the adjustments are in inches, same as the Truplex version, it seems like a Tacti-gimmick and $15 wasted.

wingman

Muellers are only assembled in China. The parts (lenses etc) are made in Japan.

10.4 knew that but on the net assembled in China is good for most,;) I actually have 4 Muellers, two 8-32x40, more clear then my Nikon Monarch, excellent for target rifles which is what I do mostly so weight is not a factor.

Kawabuggy

I own a Pentax Gameseeker and it IS JUNK! Hell, if the OP is dead set on owning one, I'll swap you even for that Bushnell that you have now. You would be getting the stinky end of the stick.

My complaints stem from the fact that it almost impossible to hold your head perfectly still in just the right position to get a full "picture" through the scope. When you hear people talking about scopes "winking" at them.. Well, there is never a time this scope is NOT winking at you. And if you are able to find that magical spot where you get a full sight picture, don't fret, a gnat will fly by and move you off center instantaneously. JUNK glass. JUNK tube. JUNK sight picture.

As the other poster mentioned, a Daisy air-gun scope is better made.