Here we go again! primer expiration

longhair

before y'all say anything, i know we've all heard this before, but here it is anyway. a guy that the 'ol lady works with has a brother that works for Federal in La.. He said that his brother told him that they would be using primers that would have a shelf life of six months. now i ain't no chemist, i don't even know if it's possible to do such a thing, not to mention the possible liability that was discussed in a thread on this very thing. like i said this came from the brother(who works at federal, in louisana)of a friend, of the wife, soooo, take it for what it's worth!!!!

------------------
fiat justitia

motorep

My neighbors friend, who has a brother-in-law that delivers newspapers to a guy who grew up with a girl that married the person who lives down the street from the guy who put the plumbing in the building where they used to make primers says it's not possible.

muddyboots

It's a small world after all.
I'll just bet it's not the same person but, I'm sure they have some of the same friends (or not).

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Its not possible to do it reliably.

Degradation of a chemical compound, whether planned or natural, proceeds on a either a "bell-curve" basis or by "half-life".

In practice, you'd have primers going bad significantly prior to 6 months, and others remaining good well after the 6 months. So the intent is unreliable.

Further, it would be a legal and sales nightmare
1) Liability on both sides of the gun issue: "The primer still had 3 months on it and it didn't work, so the bad guy was able to kill my family" or "The primer was supposed to be bad 3 months ago, but the bad guy still could shoot my family"
2)Truth in advertizing laws
3) Detailed record keeping from the manufacturer through the retailer down to the customer...everyone would have to keep receipts and records.

It would be much easier to regulate and or ban them ;)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Bill Hebert

I live in Louisiana - Where is the Federal Plant? There are lots of Federalies, but that's a different topic.. I know about the Goex Black Powder plant in NW LA. It had an explosion that killed two, just a few months back. Hopefully the primer plant is on the other end of the state....

Mal H

Staff
I have a friend who is a neighbor of Kevin Bacon's barber. So, having only 2 degrees of separation, I can confidently say - hogwash.

longhair

ok, ok, ok,OK!!! dangit!!, i told y'all that i know we've heard all this before. Sheeesh!
just passin' on what the ol' lady told me.

motorep, the guy may be the plumbers lover, for all i know. ;)

Bill, i might have been mistaken as to the where abouts of the plant!Sometimes i don't remember too well! but they were in Bastrop
when the conversation took place!! :)

S//T, NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THAT!!! :D

------------------
fiat justitia