Here is a hog doggin story... NOT MY HUNT!

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
320 LBS AND ONE MEAN S.O.B.

MAN WHAT A BAD DEAL LOST MY DAISY DOG. WHAT A FIGHT .

Those pics does that hog no justice at all. It took four of us to load him n the back of that pickup.

My old Blu gyp and Mississippi struck that hog I seen it coming and told Tom there is a hog in there were they just darted into . About 20 second later Blu was going off and so was the Mississippi, All dogs join in , in a matter of seconds, they all did a great great job Toms , Kyle's and mine. They stopped this big bruiser and we went to them Tom staying on the wheeler in case he broke sure nuff he broke ran him about 200 yards down the river bank stopped him again and just as I was getting there he broke again, he ran about 300 yards they stopped him again, this time I got in on him he was on a shelfed stair steps river bank about 40 to 50 foot high stair stepped all the way down to the river . He was caught on the second shelf from the top. I went in and grab his hind legs and man let me tell ya he was a hoss I looked down he had five dogs covering his head I tried like hell to flip the hog but I just could not do it first one ever, this hog was dragging me and the dogs closer to the next shelf of the bank and sure nuff he plowed ahead and I was holding on for dear life we went down the shelf and I was praying those dogs would not let go and we hit the bottom of that shelf and I hollered for kyle, he don't weight 140 lbs soaking wet I told him grab the other leg and we tried again to flip the hog with no luck by this time I was sucking wind and the hog plowed ahead again and I tripped and went down holding the one leg I had a Holt of and kyle thank god held his we both hit our chest with the dogs now hanging over the ledge of this shelf never letting go we were holding hog dogs and all the hogs head was over the shelf and the dogs were hanging on trying to get their footing and I told kyle man we got to let this hog go are somebody is gonna get hurt if them dogs let go we are in big big big trouble and as bad as I hated to I had to let go I knew the dogs were in a bad place but it was all I could do, so down they went that is when Daisy got hit and I got down there as fast as I could to the hog and dogs, the dogs were caught again some never letting go, I grab the hind legs and holler for tom he was sliding down the river bank feet first with a 30/30 in his hand high in the air to get to me finally he got there and I said shoot this son of a bitchhhh he was trying to get point blank cause the dogs would not let go he hit him between the shoulder blades point blank and it never budge the hog I said holy nutst nuts nutst and so he cracked off another one in his ribs the dogs had let go this time and the hog was still fighting with me holding on and tom finally hit him between the eyes and that third shot laid him down and it was over . Kyle was hollering Daisy is down and I couldn't even move no more gasping for air and my hand cramped up I couldn't hardly get them to work I had held on so long to the hog so Tom went for the dog and put compression on the wound finally I got enough strength to pull my Jacket off and they put her on the Jacket and crawled back up the bank to the top with me struggling to get to the top and when I made it I just fell out on the ground trying to regain myself Kyle was out of breath and Tom is 59 years old and he was spent, so we laid there for a few Min's and then hooked the dogs up and hauled butt to the trucks , chaining the dogs up and hauling to the vets with Daisy we knew it was bad so the Doc worked on her for almost a hour are so and was putting the last stitch in when she passed . We were all sick what a great little dog that died giving her life with out even a whimper never loss conscience till the vet put her under to do the surgery . Took the hog and weight him on a scale 320 lbs the pics don't do him any justice at all what a hoss man what a hoss I could barley get my hands around his back legs. Am six foot one inch tall and weight 270 lbs and he was shaking me like a rag doll. Am so d**n sore man I aint gonna be able to walk for a week !

Daisy
What a dog . What a hunt ! What a loss! What a memory for a life time !

The dogs were fully vested with cut vest not bay vest but cut vest these dogs are just to ruff to run with out them and this was a well known cut vest and it went right thru it like it was paper. I just dont know what am gonna have to do . Its a sad thing . A man that runs the ranch and hunts has tried to get this hog stopped and killed atleast four five times with no luck with the hog whipping down cutting up all of his dogs and running off. He was a bad bad hog.
HPIM0527.jpg

HPIM0520.jpg

HPIM0521.jpg

SOME OF MY GIRLS i LOVE'EM
HPIM0529.jpg

Jim
This was posted on a dedicated hog doggin forum. I thought ya'll may enjoy the reading as it is well written to involve you in the excitement and urgency of the sport. It is not perfect spellin' or grammar but I felt it not for me to modify this man's work.
Brent

fisherman66

Thanks for sharing. I could have used a few dogs this weekend. Sad loss, but better Daisy died doing what she was made for than any other way. Little consolation, I know.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Sorry he is a redneck hog hunter... obviously not an author...
in a nut shell he was being drug off with dogs on the hog until they were hanging from a little ledge and he had to let go. The hog soaked up a couple point blank .30-30 rounds in the top of the torso with no affect until the head was clear of dogs to brain him! Tusk that killed the dog pierced a very top of the line "cut vest"...
These vests are at least "ballistic" nylon in layers with many also including kevlar.
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
But not all gyps are going to throw pups that will "replace" certain dogs.
A dog may get their house filled by another but replaced is a tuff word often.
Brent

ActivShootr

A dog may get their house filled by another but replaced is a tuff word often.

Amen to that. It is far easier to get another dog than to replace one. I have had a few dogs that can never be replaced.

zahnzieh

JHogdogs, My condolences on the loss of your dog. One question - Is this hog a feral hog or a wild pig (russian or european type)? Mean looking bruiser!!:mad:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Please note, it is not my dog nor was I there. I just wanted to share with ya'll the excitement of some hunts. Feral hog is pretty much all wild hogs. There is very few pure russian/euro pigs outside high fence game operations. Once loose they quickly crossbreed with feral domestics. There is even a tooth in the lower jaw found only in "hybrid" hogs and I have caught exactly ZERO lacking it. So every pig I have put my hands on in the woods was a cross. Many, including this one show more euro trait than domestic traits.
Brent

zahnzieh

Yeah I read that it only takes 3 generations in the wild for a domestic pig to completely take on wild traits (hair and tusks). Although i think domestic pigs have tusks/teeth clipped when theyre piglets?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Tails and teeth are cut and broke from very young but the tusks still grow, One of the genetic "improvements" of domestic breeds is to breed for meat growth but reduced tusk growth speed. One place I hunt is full of pure black hogs that will be 200 plus pounds with short 3/4 inch razor sharp bottom tusk and not super aggressive with the dogs while another has lots of 100-125 pounders that already have 2 inch + cutters and are super full of fight. The variety or genetic traits and mental fortitude runs the gamut just like in humans.
Head shape is a sure sign of wild/feral pigs. an escaped domestic has a short snout, vertical brow and close set eyes that appear more front set. The 2-3 generation feral has extended the snout length and the skull narrows in the brow area with the eyes seeming more side set.
Brent

fisherman66

One place I hunt is full of pure black hogs that will be 200 plus pounds with short 3/4 inch razor sharp bottom tusk and not super aggressive with the dogs while another has lots of 100-125 pounders that already have 2 inch + cutters and are super full of fight.

That reminds me of the difference between Northern Strain Bass and Florida Strain Bass.

I had heard the deal with 3 generations to revert to feral, but I thought it was a myth. Either the DNA is there or not and without man to play hormone games I guessed the 1st wild generation would be pure feral.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Fish, It is an adaptive rather than genetic change. Like a gator in captivity has a flat wide head due to laying there with the gravity rather than swimming most of the time. For the hogs it is adaptation to both barn and woods life. In a barn they need a shorter snout to compete better for trough feeding. They take up for of the rim space with a wider head, so the first, stronger hog to the trough can prevent others from getting as much feed. In the woods the head is longer and narrower for 2 reasons at least... First is once again feeding, They are now rooting for their feed so longer snout goes deeper while leaving the eyes higher for look out as well as less dirt in them, Secondly a longer narrower head is more effective when running from predators thru the thick stuff they love to frequent.
Brent

fisherman66

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that to me.:)

It's interesting to see how behavior and adaptations can trump genetics. I'm still not sure how the 1st feral generation wouldn't adapt immediately in order to have a chance in a competitive "market".

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam