Here is a glaring example of laws we have, that are not effectively enforced:

What's ironic is that Atlanta has a law called FACE5 ("Firearms in Atlanta Can Equal 5 years") that attaches a mandatory 5 additional years to the sentence if a crime involves a firearm.

How often is it enforced? I have a friend in the Fulton County DA's office who cannot remember it ever being mentioned in a prosecution, much less levied. If it's not enforced, it has no teeth. If it has no teeth, the deterrent value is nil.

FACE5 was inspired by Project Exile, which is similar in intent (and was supported by both the Brady Campaign and NRA), but which is also rarely invoked.

Consider also the fact that straw purchases are also supposed to carry a 10-year sentence, but that I've never heard of that being imposed. In fact, many folks get off with probation.

We've got good laws to punish people like this, but we're not enforcing them.

johnbt

Virginia converted Project Exile to Virginia Exile. You may need to search for current prosecution info using different terms.

Why the short sentences? Why the early release?

Apparently for the latter, because of an information snafu...
Lebis’ parole officer did send Lebis back to prison, but the only reason cited was the false police report, parole records show. The state Board of Pardons and Paroles released him again in May, nine months after his parole was officially revoked.

Why no federal prosecution?

My guess is that felons with firearms are quite common and so are allowed to be prosecuted under state laws, saving the federal courts for proverbial bigger fish.

MLeake

My guess is all levels are too busy with drug prosecutions. My cynical side says this has a lot to do with forfeiture laws....

CowTowner

MY guess is the darn Federal Prosecutors are to lazy to bother with a simple violation of gun laws by criminals. A law abiding citizen with a physically malfunctioning firearm is another matter altogether.