Here’s a Ranking of the Most ‘Heavily Armed’ States in the US

carguychris

rickyrick said:
So, Here's a question...Why so many NFA in DC?
I suspect 2 reasons:
  • Weapons registered to incorporated museums. Lotsa museums in D.C.
  • Values of transferable machine guns have appreciated so quickly that an increasing percentage of owners are wealthy, and because D.C. is disproportionately urban compared to any state measured as a whole, it has a greater concentration of wealth. According to 2009-2013 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates summarized in Wikipedia, D.C. ranks first in per-capita income.

Last edited:

TXAZ

Totally BS poll methodology. With *major* holes for no handguns, private sales, those who move interstate, or the illegal gun trade which is rampant in several border states and large (gun unfriendly) cities.
About as effective as determining the relative honesty of politicians by measuring their noses or other appendages.

Last edited:

rickyrick

What about states that don't allow Certain NFA items such as Washington, while SBR ownership is low in WA State, I'm sure firearm ownership is pretty dense.

RickB

Before the Clinton administration cracked-down on non-storefront FFLs, Washington state had the highest per capita number of dealers in the U.S.
Even if we don't have any full-auto, there are lots and lots of guns here.

kilimanjaro

Within 5 miles of my western Washington home there are no less than 12 gun shops, pawnshops selling guns, or retail sporting goods stores. Go out to maybe an hour's driving time, the number rises considerably, probably 75 or so.

From this study I concluded there is one guy in Wyoming that owns a lot of NFA items. Or the moose are stocking up.

Really, thats only about 10,000 items for Wyoming. One guy could own a huge chunk of that pie.

"Why so many in DC?"

Well, just for starters........

• Amtrak Police
  • Armed Forces Retirement Home
  • Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP Federal Police)
  • Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (United States Department of Justice)
  • Drug Enforcement Administration (United States Department of Justice)
  • District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department
  • District of Columbia Department of Corrections
  • District of Columbia Housing Authority Office of Public Safety
  • District of Columbia Protective Services Division
  • Defense Criminal Investigations Services
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation Police (FBI Federal Police, uniformed, protection of FBI Headquarters)
  • Federal Protective Service (Homeland Security Buildings Federal Police)
  • Federal Bureau of Prisons (United States Department of Justice)
  • Government Printing Office Uniformed Police Branch (GPO Federal Police)
  • Homeland Security Investigations (United States Department of Homeland Security)
  • Military Police Corps (United States Army)
  • Metro Transit Police Department (Jurisdiction in Metro rail and near Metro Bus stops, 526 officers)
  • Supreme Court Police (Supreme Court Federal Police. Under a hundred officers)
  • Smithsonian Police (Smithsonian Museums Federal Police.)
  • United States Capitol Police (Congressional Federal Police. Many hundreds of officers)
  • United States Secret Service (Uniformed Division covers White House, Foreign Diplomats, Embassy, and VIP protection. Hundreds of officers. The Uniformed Division was formerly known as the White House Police Force)
  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs Police (VA Police, responsible for Washington DC VA Medical Center)
  • United States Marshals (Judicial Federal Sheriff. Acting Sheriff in local court matters. Several hundred officers) (United States Department of Justice)
  • United States Mint Police (Mint Federal Police)
  • U.S. Federal Reserve Police (The United States Federal Reserve Police is the law enforcement arm of the Federal Reserve System, which is the central banking system of the U.S)
  • United States State Department Diplomatic Security Service (State Department Federal Police)
  • United States Naval Criminal Investigative Service (Navy Federal Agents)
  • United States Army Criminal Investigative Command (Army Federal Agents)
  • United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations (Air Force Federal Agents)
  • United States Coast Guard Investigative Service (Coast Guard Federal Police)
  • United States Pentagon Police (Pentagon Police also have jurisdiction at Department of Defense, leased property throughout the National Capitol Region, and at the US Military Court of Appeals in Washington DC.)
  • United States Postal Police (uniformed division of United States Postal Inspection Service)
  • United States Park Police (National Parks Federal Police. For The Mall, monuments, parkways and all national park service properties in D.C and surrounding regions. Several hundred officers. Shares jurisdiction with D.C. Metropolitan Police in addition to Federal authority.)
  • Washington National Cathedral Police (Washington National Cathedral)

rickyrick

I'm sure WA State would be tops, I found a gun loving populace when I moved here from TX. I guess all those agencies in DC need NFA registered weapons.

SARuger

VA was #5. I suspect the liberal side of VA(east/north east) that embarrasses the conservative side of VA(west/southwest) brought our numbers down.

Most everyone I know here in the mountains have multiple firearms, and thats just in their truck! :D

PolarFBear

Post #10

In reply to post #10. Imagine how MANY firearms these agencies combined must posses. Many multiple thousands! And yet, the crime in the Capital is deplorable. Either guns don't work, people can't work the guns or the laws that invoke gun use are "broken". I'll surmise that most of these guns could be exchanged for a baton and no one would ever notice. DC should be the safest city in America; regrettably, there are to many criminals (Congress) to ever be safe.

kraigwy

Wyoming use to be in the middle of the pack until I retired and moved back here in '94, Now we're number one.:)

carguychris

johnwilliamson062 said:
From this study I concluded there is one guy in Wyoming that owns a lot of NFA items. Or the moose are stocking up.

Really, thats only about 10,000 items for Wyoming. One guy could own a huge chunk of that pie.
Excellent point. Similarly, most other states in the NFA Top 10 are in the bottom half of the overall state population statistics.
  • WY: #1 on the list, population 586,000, ranked #50.
  • AR: #3 on the list, population 2.9 million, ranked #33.
  • NM: #4 on the list, population 2.1 million, ranked #36.
  • ID: #6 on the list, population 1.7 million, ranked #39.
  • NV: #8 on the list, population 2.9 million, ranked #35.
  • AK: #9 on the list, population 738,000, ranked #48.
For comparison, only 2 of these states (AR and NV) have a population exceeding that of Dallas County, TX (2.4 million), and none have a population exceeding that of Orange County, CA (3.0 million).

I'd like to see this broken down by county. I wonder if anyone in Loving County, TX (pop. 82) or Kalawao County, HI (pop. 90) owns any NFA weapons – their county would probably top the list. :)

Prof Young

Meaningless . . .

Given the types of arms they based this data on, these stats are meaningless. Rifles and pistols are the "normal" guns and these stats only include the NFA stuff. Meaningless.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young