Herco Max Ruger Only Load

black mamba

Does anyone, maybe with QuickLoad or Speer manual, have a max Ruger only load of Herco with the 260 gr Speer JHP, or any other bullet for that matter?

Last edited:

Hammerhead

**** USE AT YOUR RISK******FOR RUGER or CONTENDER ONLY*******
From my older Speer #11 manual, .45 Colt, Hercules Herco, 260 Speer hollow point, start 10.0 grains - 996 fps, max 11.0 grains - 1082 fps from a 7.5" Blackhawk.
They also list 200 AND 225 JHP's with Herco.

Maybe someone out there can double check my data.

black mamba

If you mean by "trust it," would I immediately go to the max load and start shooting them? Then no, I don't trust it that much. But if you mean would I compare it to all my other sources to see if it makes sense, then start low and work up, checking for pressure signs like I do for all my loading, then yes, I would trust it to the point I could verify it in my own experience.

The reason I still wanted the QuickLoad info was to see what the max was at a given pressure. "Ruger Only" loads vary, depending on the source, from 20k pressure to 30k pressure, a very large window, and Hammerhead did not list any pressure for his Speer load. By comparing the data given in post #4 from the Speer #11 manual with other data, I believe the Speer is on the lower end of the pressure range for "Ruger Only" loads. I have seen 11.5 grains of Unique listed as a max load with the exact same 260 HP, and it is about 8-10% quicker in burn rate than Herco.

disseminator

The reason I still wanted the QuickLoad info was to see what the max was at a given pressure. "Ruger Only" loads vary, depending on the source, from 20k pressure to 30k pressure, a very large window,

We have recently discussed how reliable QL is with straight wall pistol load and I personally have come to the conclusion that "It depends".

There was a discussion some time ago regarding the "Ruger Only" loads and someone brought up that the "New Vaquero" can't handle the "Old Vaquero" and "SBH" only loads, but does come in a convertible version that also includes a 45 ACP cylinder.

So many folks feel like it's cool to load the "New Vaquero" to 45 ACP +P levels even though Ruger cautions about it not being as strong as the earlier models.

This got me thinking that 23K was a good enough target for my own use.

What does this have to do with your question? The point I wanted to make was that, using quickload, I have found that there is a lot of performance to be gained from 14000 psi to 23000 psi, but then you only get about 7-10% more going from 23k to 30k.

For me that isn't worth it.

Most reloaders, including me, are hesitant to share specific QL data for this reason.

After 30000 psi, pressure ramps up REALLY fast, so be careful.

Stats Shooter

Quickload is notoriously poor at straight walled pistol/rifle projections on the default settings. I use quickload all the time when developing bottle neck rifle loads for barrel time calculations, pressure estimates, and powder ladder estimates. But trust it with pistol loads? No.

Therefore, I won't run it, and most others won't either, because it would likely do more harm than good.

GeauxTide

Herco is slightly slower than Unique. I've been using 10gr of Unique under 280gr SWC in my Ruger Bisley for 1050fps. Cases fall out.

Pathfinder45

I will probably never buy Herco, but if someone gifted me a whole bunch of it, I for sure would be using it in 45 Colt, and I would probably load it with very similar charges, weight-wise as Unique. I can't speak for others, but I, for one, always hesitate to recommend any 45 Colt loads that would be higher pressure than would be safe in an older Colt SAA type of gun, though I might dabble with them for my own use. It's not a matter of doubting that you know what you are doing; It's more a case of hating to think that some casual passer-by might read some hot load I posted, the then go run with it and somebody gets hurt. I have no problem recommending that others read up on the hot loads offered by many of the bullet and powder makers; but I don't want to quote their data for others. I might accidentally hit the wrong key on my computer and someone could blow themselves up!;)

OSUCowboy67

For some odd reason, Herco has been offered at several garage sales I have encountered through recent years, and several pounds are in my loading cabinets now. Herco was listed in an article published some years ago by two well experienceed reloaders as the most accurate powder for 45 Colt, and my experience has been their recommendations are applicable in my Ruger Blackhawk 7 1/2 in. revolver. Herco has been very useful for moderate loads in my 41 cal. Blackhawk, TC 44 mag., 357 mag firearms.