HEPA filters in loading room...

hgmeyer

I got to thinking (something that doesn't happen too often at my age) about air filters.

My son and I share a reloading room at his house (lives a bloack away). He just had a child (my 3rd grandchild) and I started to rethink the whole lead issue. We load a lot of shotgun shells for trap shooting and that means handling a lot of lead shot. Add a large supply of lead bullets for .38/.357, 9mm and .45 acp and I am beginning to think that we should do something to reduce the lead floating around in the air.

I am considering adding a small room sized HEPA filter. We have gotten serious about handwashing after loading and I feel that the air filter is a no-brainer (no inconvenience for a potential increase in safety).

Anybody else utilize a HEPA filter in their loading room?

Marco Califo

I have 4 HEPA filters in my house. Yes I do some reloading tasks indoors. Mine are Honeywell brand made by Yaz. I buy them on Amazon.com.
Lead is one thing. I especially like the carbon prefilter which catches a lot of dust and removes odors. Combined with the HEPA filters they control allergies when I have windows and doors open, which I'm California is 350+ days a year.
However, depriming and tumbling are things I still do not want to do indoors.
I think filtered air is de rigor when you have infants, elderly, pets or smoke in any combination.

Huskerguy

When I pour bullets I put a portable air filtration on the bench right behind the pot. Anything that comes from the pot goes directly into the filtration unit. Eventually I will put an exhaust fan up that vents to the outside.

hgmeyer

Currently I cover the tumbler with a ratty blanket and the dust just sort of dies in the blanket.

No mercury in primers anymore so that no longer concerne me.