Henry rimfire dry firing?

DennisD

I recently picked up a Henry Octagon barrel (Frontier model) .22LR. I'm happy with the gun, it's more accurate than I am. With some rimfire guns, dry firing is a no-no due to possible damage to the firing pin. I don't want to dry fire practice with the Henry but I don't always keep accurate count of rounds I've shot so an occasional dry fire happens. Is this bad for the Henry?

Wuchak

An occasional dry fire like you are talking about should not be a problem. Many rimfires require dry firing them to assemble.

Where people run into problems with dryfiring rimfires is when they sit and cycle and dryfire the gun repeatedly to break in the action or practice. Even doing this it takes a lot of cycles before a problem develops. Let's say that you have to do it 1000 times to get a problem (this is probably low). If you dry fired yours 5 times per range trip that would give you 200 range trips before a problem developed. Going once a week to the range that's about 4 years.

Death from Afar

I'd be interested to hear of anyone has ever broken a firing pin dry firing. ALL guns are dry fired from time to time when the magazine runs out- and in 27 years of doing that, have never struck firing pin damage...Anyone?

JAYBIRD78

I have the same model rifle and don't sweat it so much.

Also.....as you fire the rifle more you will become "one with the rifle" and can "feel" the difference when loading a round and not loading after the last round.

That Henry is a GREAT rifle and anyone should be proud to own one. IMHO