Henry H001 Range Report

Waspinator

I got a chance to shoot my new Henry today.

First, lever guns are a blast! This is my first lever gun and actually my first rifle. Everything I've owned up to this point has been hand guns or shot guns. So, being my first rifle, there is a bit of a learning curve I think.

I shot it at my local indoor range with a max of 25 yards. So, that is where I shot, 25 yards. The fist shots were pretty low, so I adjusted to elevation on the rear sight two notches and it got pretty close to where I was aiming. I did notice it shooting a few inches to the left. Unfortunately, I thought I had some tools (mini screw drivers and brass hammer/punch) in my range bag.. but alas, I must have took them out at some point :(

So, I had to do with what I had. I tried shooting a bit right of the target and they landed closer to the target. So, I'm going to have to go back with some tools to make the adjustments.

I know I should have been using a rest and everything to sight it in, but I was shooting while standing / off hand. Not really the proper way to do things, but then again, it is how I'll be shooting this rifle anyway.

After this trip, I might consider changing out the front sight to that HiViz sight made for the Henry H001. The front sight was pretty wide and I was having trouble zeroing in on the bulls-eye. I like the balance of the H001 over the octagon barrel models, hence why I went with it over , say, the Frontier model. Only thing I thought was lacking was the sight set-up, and this trip confirmed it for me.

Here is a picture of a target after I adjusted the elevation on the rear sight. You can see most of the shots are to the left. The shots closer to center are the ones that I aimed slightly to the right. Overall I'm happy, considering it is my first rifle and the sights were not exactly idea.

How did I do, in your opinion? (I was aiming for the green tape)

Last edited:

chris in va

I have one too.

Definitely needs a windage adjustment to the right. BTW don't think of the Henry as a slow fire, target rifle. It's a fun can slaying plinker so just have fun with it.

BTW don't do what I did and try to fire a one strike dud round again by inserting it in the tube. That extra little crimp on the case from the firing pin strike will lock up the action solid! It's a bear taking the action apart to clear a jam. Also don't short stroke it either. Full forward, full back.

jersurf101

I bought one of these my son and he loves it. Good smooth rifle and he is getting to where he can hit a pie plate at 100 yards with regularity. The only thing it has not liked is Remington .22 shorts. It shot CCI shorts just fine. Fortunately we have never had to take the gun apart to clear a jam. That would be a PITA. Great little rifle in my opinion, especially for the price.

g.willikers

Now you need to load up with some good ole' westerns, like "Wanted Dead or Alive."
Enjoy your new shootin' iron.
You did keep the stock shouldered and levered it as fast as you could, didn't you?
So, which lever action is next on the list?

Waspinator

Now you need to load up with some good ole' westerns, like "Wanted Dead or Alive."
Enjoy your new shootin' iron.
You did keep the stock shouldered and levered it as fast as you could, didn't you?
So, which lever action is next on the list?

Ha!

One of the reasons behind this purchase was to relive my youth. My father used to watch westerns every chance he got and when he had the TV, it was his choice or no choice. So, I got to watching those westerns right along side him. Then when I was a young lad, he bought me a Red Ryder BB gun. I used to shoot that thing every day. I can still remember trying to shoot the bees off of dandelions in the back yard (and hitting them sometimes!).

A little over a year ago my father passed away. I was going through some of my things my father gave me as a boy and found my old Red Ryder. It instantly brought a smile to my face :) The thing still works too, although not as well as it used to. I decided that I wanted to buy myself a lever gun to have some fun with to remember the times shooting my old Red Ryder with my dear ol' dad.

I finally got around to picking one up and I had a blast shooting it :)

When trying to sight it in, I was shooting slowly (kept it shouldered though). After the sight in, I shot that thing fast like a cowboy out of the movie. What a fun little rifle and so smooth with the action.

As for the next lever gun? heh, that would be up to my wife, as I'm about 3 guns past when I said that I would ease off of buying more. I think I'll cool it for a bit and wait a while. My plan is to get her to the range to fire the Henry... then get her wanting her own.. which I would have to shoot to once in a while to make sure its running correctly ;)

Oh, and here is a picture I took of the Red Ryder after I found it in a box from one of my moves.

g.willikers

Sorry for the loss of your Dad.
In his memory, you are entitled to buy yourself at least a couple more lever actions and maybe a sixgun or two.
How could your wife possibly refuse.
Worth a try.
Your Red Ryder looks like it might be a high class one; mebbe even some kind of commemorative.
It's much fancier than mine.

Waspinator

Your Red Ryder looks like it might be a high class one; mebbe even some kind of commemorative.

Yeah, I looked at some new ones, as my son is now coming of that age and I figured that perhaps I would get him one. I would give him mine, but it doesn't function as good as it used to, not much power to it anymore. The new ones don't look like mine, the stock is different and there are no medallions.

You made me curious, so I did a quick search and this came up.

1979- a safety was added and now it is a model 1938A

1980- the shot tube was replaced with a loading door and a new safety was added. Now a model 1938B

1980 until today- The 1938B Red Ryder is still being produced today. But there have been several highly collectible limited editions have been sold and most will have a medallion in the stock.

He did buy me mine some time in the late 1980's. Mine does have the safety and loading door, so it makes sense. Mine also has the logo on the opposite side of the stock then the new ones. Also it has the medallion. Who knows, perhaps my dad bought some kind of commemorative model back then???

And just so we stay on topic, lol.. here is the Henry sitting next to the Red Ryder in my small closet cabinet. Funny that the Red Ryder is actually beefier than the Henry and almost the same length :p

Last edited:

silverstang23

Good to see you are enjoying your Henry. The rifle is definitely capable of better groupings. You should be able to get every shot on that green tape at 25 yards with the iron sights. I put a cheap simmons scope on mine and can shoot 2 moa at 100 yards pretty consistently. They are great guns.

22-rimfire

Use a rest next time. You're trying to adjust the sights to hit point of aim. As mentioned, you should be able to hit the green tape just about every shot from a rest at 25 yds. Then, go play, shoot some cans or whatever. Have fun and you will know it's at least hitting where it should be and any missing is your fault, not the sights or the rifle.

The only Henry 22 I own is the Mare's Leg which is fun.

g.willikers

The Red Ryder is beefier due to the room needed for the piston that powers the bb.
If it's weak, it can be easily rebuilt.
The Henry maybe could improve for accuracy by experimenting with different brands and styles of ammo.
A recent podcast interview, with the folks from the rimfire ammo maker Ely, explained what the Olympic competitors go through finding the right ammo for their guns.
A lot.

22-rimfire

Yes to finding the right ammunition for consistency and precision with 22 rifles. But, at 25 yds, most 22 ammo does pretty well. That's plinking range and exactly what the bulk 22 ammo is made for.

Frankly

OP,

I've got a golden boy .22 and put a vintage weaver shotgun scope on it (zero magnification, just the crosshairs). Can't miss with it.

I put 4x scopes on the Henry Big Boys (44 mag and 357 mag) and that seems about right given the range of pistol chambered rifles...

Yes, these Henrys are indeed fun to shoot... welcome to the world of lever guns!

Waspinator

Waspinator- Someone put a hole saw on the end of your shotgun...

Heh... yeah, it is a bit much isn't it? Well, it came with the gun as the "field/security combo". If you look to the left of the Mossberg, you'll see the ported 28" barrel peaking out that also came with the gun. The "breacher" end is more for looks than anything.. not like I'll be breaching doors and raiding buildings any time soon! I will say one thing though, if you run out of ammo, that "hole saw" is a pretty nasty backup ;)