Henry Big Boy 44 See Thru Rings - Poor Cust. Svc.

Bassthoven

I have a Henry Big Boy 44 steel used for deer hunting here in Indiana. My last lever gun (Marlin - Named "strawberry" because of continuous Jam problems) had see thru rings and i loved them. On a cold wet foggy morning and the lenses fog up those see thru's are pretty handy. Problem is, on a Henry, when the picatinny rail is mounted, it obscures the line of sight with the sights. Rendering see thru sights useless. The Henry Picatinny rail is very tall, and has these "feet" on the bottom that I suppose could be milled off. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has a solution to this that hasn't occured to me. I tried emailing customer service at Henry, but never got a response. So I called, spoke to Kevin, and couldn't get a clear answer. Just plain rude as a matter of fact. Sorry for the rant, on their service, but be forwarned, they are not polite or helpful. Kevin's attitude and service will prevent me from buying another Henry. But I like the one I have, just need to make it work for my needs at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

DPris

Member Emeritus
What question did he not give you a clear answer to?
What specifically were you asking?

As far as CS responses go, I've never allowed that to be the sole decider on whether I ever buy another of a given company's products again.
Including the company that put my gun in a For Sale bin & would have sold it out from under me if I hadn't caught them in time. :)

Denis

jmr40

The answer is to buy a decent scope and forget about see thru mounts. I've been hunting for well over 40 years and have not had a scope fail me yet. I have had iron sights fail to work. See thru mounts just make it harder to use the scope and even the best of them limit your ability to use irons. I'm surprised anyone still makes them.

I don't see how the problem is with Henry. You are asking them to solve a non existent problem. It is like going into McDonalds and getting mad because you can't get a Burger King Whopper there. That is just how they build their rifles and mounts. There are other options for rifles and mounts that may do what you want.

JWT

I've only had one issue where I talked to Henry customer service. Found them very courteous and helpful.

I agree with jmr40 that the 'problem' the OP is upset about is not of Henry's making. Being upset because they won't, or can't, resolve a non-Henry issue does not seem reasonable to me.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...The answer is to buy a decent scope and forget about see thru mounts..."

Agree completely. I positively hate "see-thru" rings. They further degrade the handling of the rifle and ruin any decent "stock weld" when using the scope-which is most of the time. Weaver and Pachmayr are two companies that used to (and still might, for all I know) make mounts that allowed the scope to pivot out of the way so you could access the irons if bypassing the scope is a continuing issue with you.

Waspinator

The Big Boy series uses a rail.. and most people who opt for a scope don't use the irons. I'm sure when Henry decided to make their rail they did not allow for seeing through it. So, I'm not sure what you expected. The receiver is tapped and drilled for rails....so, go buy a non-Henry rail that is see through. Not sure what you wanted Henry to do for you... buy you an aftermarket rail on their dime??

I would have loved to listen in on that phone call.. because I called and emailed Henry with some questions in the past and everyone was helpful and nice to me.

stagpanther

I've called Henry a bunch of times in the few days since I bought my 41 mag--they strike me as "no-nonsense" conversationalists--meaning if you want to launch into vague conversations about how life would be better if something they made only were this or that the conversation won't last long. I also appreciate the fact that instead of BS'ing me, on a couple of questions the first person who answered would readily admit that a tech would know better and put one on the line. My guess is that they are pressed for time and like to cut to the quick--but I don't think that means they have lousy CS. I'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience--just what my impressions are--and most manufacturers I buy stuff from I will call--sometimes very frequently--and I know that may bug some of them, but I put money in their product--and for better or worse I represent it in a small way when I use it. If you REALLY feel that slighted--I'm willing to bet you can contact Anthony directly--who owns the whole shootin match, and get your grievances sorted out.

rebs

I had a problem with the tip on the magazine tube on my Henry golden boy. I,called and they said they would send me a new tip, a few days later I received a whole new magazine rod not just a new tip.

kcub

My guess is that they are pressed for time and like to cut to the quick--but I don't think that means they have lousy CS.

I'd rather have that than be put on hold or be stuck in voice mail hell. As was said before, you can email the president directly and I bet he will fix any legitimate problem. He sent me a hat and coffee mug for nothing more than a suggestion that likely wouldn't make Henry money.

alex0535

My only interaction with Henry customer service was top notch. My magazine tube for my .22 fell off a table and landed on the follower which broke, I intended just to fix the follower myself if I could. Long story short she asked for my name and shipping address and told me a new magazine tube one would be on its way.

It was direct, simple, and she got my rifle back in working order without any fuss.

As others have said...."Ditch the see through mounts" and get a quality scope. That way you won't have to "turkey neck" to shoot it.....Quality scopes will work in the rain and fog.

Hawg

A scope that fogs up has lost it's nitrogen. Replace it or get it fixed and toss those see thru mounts.

Gunplummer

Not sure what your base looks like, but I have drilled a hole all the way through a solid base for someone more than once. My brother-in-law bought a Marlin that had high, see thru mounts on it. He used it for a couple years and then decided one year to see if the iron sights were actually lined up. It is amazing how many people will insist one see-thru sights and then never check to see if the iron sights are on. Back in the day, scopes had no rubber around the eye piece. He cut a ring above his right eye. I told him he should have a tip-off mount, at least that way he could get matched cuts on his face.
All joking aside, I know what you are talking about. Many a time I have been out in snowy, rainy weather and could not keep the scope cleaned off. It is even worse if you wear glasses. I have some 99 Savages with tip-off mounts, and they seem to hold zero well @ 100 yards. Might be an option for you.

Wendyj

The closer you can get the scope to the bore is where your cheek and scope eye contact is going to be the best. See through mounts warp in weather changes in my experience and throw off groups. If you want to use scope and iron sites get some quick detach rings. You can find lower end scopes if money is issue that won't fog. Good luck and happy shooting.

T_PRO_Z

Henry's CS

I have also emailed various people at henry and the only one that answered was the president himself! he will help you with whatever you need and if he don't know it he will find out for you within a matter of minutes. he loves his company. they also have side mounted scope mounts, maybe you could try that but I am not sure if I thoroughly read the question. I stopped after the poor customer service part haha.:D

Bassthoven

I think I was just spoiled by the number of options available with the Marlin 44 I had. And yes, I wear glasses. I know see thru rings are antiquated, but so is a lever gun. Soggy rainy foggy slushy mornings are hard to hunt in when clear vision isn't an option. I don't care what the weather is, I'll go out in it. The more adventurous a hunt is, the more rewarding it is for me. But I figured out a solution anyways. Ordered a new stainless Ruger 77/44 and a wood stock (because I like the look) and a hawke endurance SR scope with bullet drop compensator. It will be the fairweather rifle that'll have some decent reach on nice days with good visibility. Leave the Henry naked with a large loop and use those irons on the crummy days when you cant see more than 100yds. Like I said, I really didn't intend to rant on Henry, which is why I kept it short. Really would like to add a 22wmr and 17hmr to the collection, but the sour taste will have to dissipate first. For what it's worth, the best customer service I have ever had was from my local firearms dealer.

Bassthoven

Great Customer Service

My faith in Henry's customer service has been reestablished. I took the 44 big boy steel out for the first time last weekend and shot it along with the Ruger 77/44. First shot with the 77/44 and the bolt fell out when i opened it. Fiddled with it and problem repeated itself. Moved onto shooting the Henry, threw 10 down the pipe just to run it a bit and the stock cracked. Right next to the screw on the tang of the receiver where the wood is U shaped. Called Henry and they are shipping me a new stock free of charge, no questions asked. Looks like a 22wmr and 17hmr are back on the bucket list. For what its worth, the 77/44 problem was the spring on the bolt stop was just manufactured improperly and not imparting enough upward lifting force the the bolt stop. Tweeked it and all is well.

stagpanther

I've noticed almost every weapon I buy these days usually is in less than optimal condition--I've come to expect that they will at the very least need a complete clean and lube as well as thorough check for proper assembly and tolerances upon purchase. Most guns I buy are full of crud and manufacturing debris--and usually have nuts, screws bolts etc that either have worked themselves loose or were simply not manufactured correctly in the first place.