Henry 22Mag ok to keep Rounds in the Tube?

murphjup

I just bought a Henry Golden Boy Lever Action in 22Mag, I am interested in leaving some CCI Vmax plastic tipped rounds in the tube... (None in the Chamber), so if a critter apears Im ready to go...

Not really worried about the springs, more wondering how that ammo will do being constantly compressed on the tips...

Any thoughts on doing so?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Last edited:

Hog Red

guess your worried about the spring in the mag tube being under constant pressure. honestly dont know if it would be an issue but you could always leave the mag tube out or at least with it extended so it is not compressed while in waiting.

Jeff H

The magazines in my pistols and AR stay loaded quite often with no ill effects and my carry gun is always loaded. It won't hurt the spring if it is compressed.

murphjup

Not really worried about the springs, more wondering how that ammo will do being constantly compressed on the tips... sorry I guess I should have asked it that way...

:)

FrosSsT

Keeping the springs compressed or uncompressed (loaded or unloaded) does not wear them out. It is the constant compression and decompression that wear them out.

Buzzcook

There is some chance of the plastic tips getting bent out of shape. IIRC makers of plastic tip ammo recommend against leaving rounds in the gun for extended times. How long that time may be isn't very clear.

Do an experiment and leave rounds in the rifle for longer and longer times. If they stay good past the time you'd normally leave them, stop worrying.