Help With Smith Wesson Model 19-4

Bullrock

I am thinking about buying a model 19-4 from an auction. I have never fired one or even seen one. So I need some input as to what kind of quality the M19 presents.

It is in 'Excellent' condition. LNIB and hardly used. Is it worth $400.00??? :confused:

Last edited:

WillBrayjr

Even in excellent condition I don't think the M19 is quite worth $400.00 though it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. The M19's quality is superb plus it has more character than the M66. The M19s were manufacture at a time when Smith&Wesson were on top of their game unlike today.

Bullrock

WillBrayjr

Recently on the two major auctions the starting price or reserve for the M66 has been $400 to $500. Maybe it's the discontinued K frame that's bring up the price. I bought an M66 awhile back for $330 and it is already bid up to $450 with 3 days left to go. Here's a look-see at the 19-5. Oh it's a -5 not -4. Thanks
attachment.php

Last edited:

Majic

Model 19s have been slowly climbing in price the last few years. Those in excellent condition have been selling for up to $450. Like other S&W revolvers the P&R models will get the biggest pricetags.
The M19s were manufacture at a time when Smith&Wesson were on top of their game unlike today.
Model 19s were made up to 1999 so I would be carefull in making that statement.

dogngun

A good, tight Model 19 Smith is a great handgun, and no one today makes a revolver as good. I think $400 is a little steep, maybe $50, but if you really like the look of it, you probably can't go wrong. It is a really great shooter, and a beautiful revolver, the classic .357mag Law Enforcement revolver for good reason.

Mark

snake guy

A good, tight Model 19 Smith is a great handgun, and no one today makes a revolver as good. I think $400 is a little steep, maybe $50, but if you really like the look of it, you probably can't go wrong. It is a really great shooter, and a beautiful revolver, the classic .357mag Law Enforcement revolver for good reason

Perfectly said! My wife's Model 19 is her (and close to mine) favorite gun. The only thing I'd suggest is a set of Hogue or other grips. The wood grips look wonderful, but were too wide for my wife's hands and she shoots much better with the Hogue's.

As far as the price, I would not worry about the cost being a tad high. Five years from now you'll love having the Smith and will have long since forgotten about the $50

Bullrock

snake guy

Thank you but I'll pass on the Houge grips. Well I bid a buck over the asking price and bought the 19-5 for $396.00 :D If it shoots as good as it looks, I think I'm gonna like it...

S&W Junkie

I think that's an excellent price for a LNIB Mod 19...and keep in mind, they will only appreciate in value with time. They are superb shooters and I know you will be very happy with yours.

My grandfather bought two 19s in 1969, keeping one for himself and giving the other to my uncle. When my grandfather passed away in 1994, I inherited his 19. That was the gun he started teaching me to shoot with when I was little. He started me off with 38 Special wadcutters. I have some very special memories of him and I shooting that gun. It is indeed a cherished possession.

Have fun and remember...K frame 357 Magnums are at their best with 38 Specials and 158 grain magnum loads. Congrats on your new 19!!

Bullrock

Snubbyman, look above @ pic. It's a 4" barrel. I'm sure a 2 1/2" would be nice. I have a 2 1/2" M66 that I use for carry... :D

Sir William

Bullrock, you did fine. I picked up a M19 in 6" and nickel for $350.00. 6" barrels don't seem as desirable to many shooters. I prefer the extra length as I feed my 357 Magnums 180 gr Winchesters. A M28, M19 and a snub M27 are probably the best 357 Magnums made in normal production.

blume357

yes

Yes, $400 is slightly high but is still well worth it. I have one that I paid $375 for at a gun show and want another one. Had one ready to get for $350 this weekend but missed it by 10 minutes. (had to run to the bank machine down the street) Great revolver!

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know what they're going for today, so I can't help you with that. I do have a 19-4 in 4" nickle finish that I wouldn't part with for the world. Mine's probably had 10,000 rounds of .38 SWC put through it and maybe only 300 rounds of .357, and it's still as solid as the day it was built. Great action, great looks, and great accuracy! Got mine in 1982, and the only work that's been done on it was last week, when I finally replaced the mainspring and trigger rebound spring after I noticed light primer strikes and a few misfires. Back to good as new! :cool: I would advise against a steady diet of magnums, though.

Bullrock

Capt Charlie

That's one thing I don't like about owning an older gun. They're so beautiful I hesitate to shoot some of them. I do plan on using .38Spl. quite a bit...

michael t

Shoot it and enjoy it. It will still be a useable pistol in years to come. I just put a 6" Model 29-3 on lay a way I plan on shooting it as soon as I get it to the house.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
That's one thing I don't like about owning an older gun. They're so beautiful I hesitate to shoot some of them. I do plan on using .38Spl. quite a bit...
Yeah Bullrock, I know what you mean. But I'd like to be there the first time you put 6 in the X ring, just to watch the smile that comes on your face :) . After that, you'll never put it down :D .

JCM298

I bought a 2 1/2" Model 19 for $275 about three weeks ago. It was at a gunshop/pawn shop here in Tucson. It had Goodyears and two scratches on the left side. There is a little holster wear at the muzzle and on the cylinder.

I've already replaced the rubber grips with a set of Badger boot grips.

It shoots very well. Now if I can only find a blue 3 1/2" Model 27.........,

John