Help with side mount for my model 92

kealil

Hello all!
I need some assistance. I recently picked up two new lever actions(this is becoming somewhat of an addiction): a Rossi 92 357mag and a Sears 94 30-30. The Rossi is working flawlessly. Feeds almost everything I’ve fed it so far and is pretty darn accurate at 50 yards. I have horrible eyesight so I need an optic to help with the precise shots and for longer distance than 50 yards.

I picked up the side scope mount for the Rossi and attempted to mount one of my old 4x Nikons on it. Problem is that I can’t adjust the mount or optic to shoot anywhere near on target. Point of aim through the Nikon would show right on target but irons and test shots are to the extreme left. I have also tested mount with an old Tasco and received same result. Both the Nikon and Tasco are dead on or easily adjusted for any of my other rifles.

I assume that the issue is the mount. I have not taken it to a smith but the mount was very straight forward to install. There are only three points of contact: A main screw that mounts to the side of the receiver and two brass adjustment screws that contact the top of the receiver to stabilize and level the mount. Since my issue is on the horizontal axis, could I simply be setting something up incorrectly with my optic? Do I need a different type of optic?
Thank you for any help!

Blindstitch

Usually there's a reason for a scope to do something like this but if for some reason there isn't you should be able to get away with a really really thin shim under the front screw hole of the mount.

What mount do you have?

I only have a 94 winchester mounted like this and I can tell you that the gun will create an x pattern with a side mount. If you zero at 50 yards than the bullet should creep to the left I think once you pass that zero. Because of this I zero my side mount scope about 1cm to the left of impact which I think is the difference of the offset.

Sometimes pictures help too.