Help with Scope Decision

Hays

I have a Jim Clark 10/22 barreled action on the way from Brownell's that I'm putting on a Boyd Brothers Blaster stock. I plan to use the gun for target shooting from 25 to 100 yds. I really need to keep the cost of my scope as close to $100 as possible. I am considering the 5 scopes listed below. I would sure appreciate your recommendations. Thanks in advance for you input.

Simmons WTC18 6.5-20x 50mm, Truplex reticle - $99.95, SWFA

Simmons 44 Mag M1048 6.5-20x 44mm, Truplex reticle - $119.95, SWFA

Tasco Varmint/Target 6-24x 42mm, mil-dot reticle - $79.99 Midway

Tasco Mag 4 6-24x 40mm, 30-30 reticle - $94.99 Midway

BSA Contender 6-24x 40mm, duplex reticle - $69.97 Shooter's

trapshooter

Any of them will work. Not enough recoil to mess them up. You would only be screwed if you got a real lemon. They'll all let you see the holes you punch at 100 yards. I'd take the Simmons 44, if I could find the right rings, just for the heck of it.

Why are you spending all that money on the rifle---to then go skimp out on the scope?

Seems like you've spent quite a bit on your rifle--save up a few more bucks and get a decent scope for it.

dfaugh

I bought the 79.99 Tasco, from Midway, for project gun...Its pretty awesome for the money..Used Tascos since I was a kid, never disappointed...Never could see paying $500 or more for a scope....Others may be better, but I never could tell the difference....Had one years ago, on Model 70 Winchester, in .270...This gun was used and abused for 10 years (back and forth across country, many hunting trips, deer in Wisconsin, varmints in New York), fell on the gun a couple times etc.....Never once a problem with Tasco 3-9, never resighted, even, that I recall....

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've had a Simmons 44Mag 3x10 on my pet '06 for 4-1/2 years now; works just fine.

I bought a used Bushmaster with a Tasco 6x24, 50mm; it surprised me that it puts the center of aim at 6X the same as 24X. Works just great.

The high-dollar scopes have better coatings on the lenses, which helps with light transmission. This is fairly unimportant for mid-day paper punching, compared to late-evening Bambi-chasing.

The internal mechanisms for Leupold, etc., are great if you move your point of aim around a lot, and want to quickly return to some exact previous point of aim. Otherwise, that, too, is of lesser importance.

Precision shooting at 25 to 50 yards might take some tweaking with your focus; can't see any other problems...

$0.02,

Art

Jim Watson

I don't know the individual models, but I recommend getting a scope with both fast focus binocular style eyepiece AND adjustable objective. I have seen 1" variables that would not focus down to .22 plinking ranges except at the low end of their power range.

Swamp Yankee

Not saying there is anything wrong with your choices, but

The biggest problem I've seen with scopes of that power range at that price point is clarity. Once over 10 power they seem to develop a haze that you won't see in a more expensive scope. Might suggest a 4X12 in that price range to start.
Chasing parallax could be another problem even with the adjustment. If at all possible I'd try to squeeze out another $75 to $100, I think you'll be happier in the long run. Bushnell Trophy and Simmons Whitetail Expedition have pretty good reputations.
Check out some shops for used, you may find a bargain. Hopefully you'll be able to look through some of your choices prior to ordering.
Coupe of websites to try
www.clearanceoptics.com
www.samplelist.com
Good Luck
Take Care