Help with savage barrels

5whiskey

I actually have 2 questions...

1. I have an older savage 111 (not too old, maybe made in 2000) in 7mm rem mag. Does anyone make custom barrels AT A REASONABLE PRICE for savages? I'm trying to make a 250 dollar rifle into a 800 dollar rifle and am mechanically inclined within reason. Like the most of the masses, I don't have the tools to make a barrel. I am confident I can put one on and properly headspace. I'm probably being unreasonable but I would love to find a GOOD target barrel for under 200. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Looking at stock options and I think I'm gonna stick with making it myself. I am well aware of the work involved and I like the idea of being able to design my own. I'm looking at swamp white oak as it grows everywhere in NC. I can cut a tree and have some blanks sawed for a little work and about 20 bucks. The rest I'll save as firewood or sell. I know swamp white is real knotty but I've already found a tree that has a blemish free section long enough for a rifle stock. Big question is... is it strong enough???

Thanks all...

ZeroJunk

There is an art to cutting a stock blank with the grain in the right direction.Then it needs to be dried for the longer the better.If you cut a piece yourself and wait for it to dry properly you will have forgot about this project.The majority of stocks are walnut and I suspect if oak had worked as well it would have been used.Take a little time and find a good walnut blank.As much time and effort as it takes to make a stock,would be a shame to waste it on a poor quality piece of wood.

tINY

Oak has big grain and tends to change dimmensions pretty radically in different climates.

Walnut, Birch, beech, and maple have been used for stocks. They tend to have the right weight, toughness and dimmensional stability for rifle stocks.

-tINY

Jim Watson

What calibre do you want? If you go from belted magnum to standard you will have to have a new bolt head. Not expensive, but still a cost to the job.

The only replacement barrels I know of for less than $200 are takeoff factory barrels, the Midway "Adams & Bennett", and E.R. Shaw. These are ok for a caliber change for fun and hunting but are not what I would call a "GOOD target barrel."

There is a guy on another board who has his heart set on a 7mm Mag target rifle. Is your present barrel inaccurate?

5whiskey

For 2 or 3 shots, yes

Current rifle is pretty darn good, yes. It shoots very near 1 MOA and I have (not recently) grouped 3 shots at 2 1/2" at 300 yds with it. Best day the rifle (and me) has ever had and that was firing from the prone with bipods. I am not trying to make an awesome bench rifle out of a 7mm mag, no. Don't get me wrong, it can be done but it's a lot more difficult with such a heavy caliber.

Purpose in this??? I just got out of the Marine Corps and I'm looking for a new project more than anything. I'm trying to make a pack rifle that will hold close to 1-1 1/2 MOA. Hence why I'm trying to get a 18" barrel with a 2.5 or 3 contour. Also looking to make a stock that I can seperate the barrel/action from quickly and will hold it's zero when reassembled. I'll let ya know how that one goes when I get there, but I think I've decided to go with shaw for the barrel. I've heard they are pretty darn good for the price.

So know you know the intent of my project, which I should have posted to begin with. Oh by the way, thanks for the advice on woods for the stock. I may try and make my own laminate since there is also a post up here about that. Pretty good 411 on the subject and some posts appear to come from someone who has actually done the project before and is knowledgeable. Thanks all.

BTW, caliber is still up in the air but now I'm debating on sticking with 7 mag. It depends on how much a bolt face costs. The only options (I want easily available rounds) are .270, .30-06, or 7 mag.