Help with Ruger SA models?

DanP

Decided my next gun would be a Single Action revo, the only other SA I've owned was a gorgeous Colt SAA that I stupidly gave away about 15 years ago.

On DA's I already have: 1 Ruger SP, 1 Ruger GP, 1 Colt Anaconda and 1 Model 19, covering the 3" to 6" range :D

Looking at the Ruger site, I'm not sure I understand the differences between the various models (Vaquero, Bisley, etc).

I'd prefer .357 or 44 Mag just to keep common calibers, but not a must. The 45LC with 45APC option would work as well.

This is just for range fun, factory ammo (at least for now).

I recently handled a used Blackhawk and the action felt extremely crips, not sure if it was a factory trigger though.

Thanks for any thoughts!

mec

a lot of people love the .45 Colt cartridge. A couple of problems are that the throat-barrel diamerters are funny and often not optimum for accuracy. 45 colt factory loads are expensive but the caliber makes sense if you get a convertible that will also shoot .45 ACP.. These factory loads can be cheap and accurate too.

For range fun, I would pick either a .357 or .44 .

The triggers are noted for a lot of creep, weight and overtravel although, in recent years, they seem to be pretty smooth. A lot of shooters reduce the trigger pull by taking tension off the trigger return spring either by kickin one leg of the thing off its seat in the grip frame, replacing with wolff return spring or bending the factory spring to reduce it's forward impingement on the trigger. I've got several with very light and usable triggers pulls and they will turn in off-hand performance like this: I find that I need a very light trigger on the single action to equal what I can do with a heavier trigger on a double action.

Last edited:

jjmorgan64

Some simple differences.

1st off Bisley refers to a different grip frame and hammer combo. This can be seen if you look closely at the pictures. The Bisley grip is supposed to be better for hotter loads, but doesn't point as naturally. You will really need to hold both models to decide on this one. (don't forget the new Birds head grip also)

The vaquero and bisley-vaquero are fixed sights.

The blackhawk, super blackhawk and bisely are adjustable sights.

The 45 colt is a great caliber, butt expensive if you don't reload.

The 44 and 357 are less expensive and easier to find ammo for, also you have the option of 44spec, and 38 spec.

This is a must read http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872&highlight=ruger+saa

Blackhorse

Had a rugar 4 5/8 45 convertiable for a few years, love it, fun to shoot and accurate.

Attachments

• 45conv.jpg
    45conv.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 63

Jim March

Yes, the "homebrew mods" thread linked above is WELL worth checking out :).

Remember that in addition to the "regular catalog items", Ruger sometimes does special runs of oddball calibers and combinations through distributors such as Davidson's.

Example: per the catalog (online or paper) there's no such thing as a .45LC/.45ACP convertable Vaquero. But 2,000 of those were made, half in stainless and half in blue. They show up on Gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com and such pretty often. There were also runs of .40S&W(!) Vaqueros, .40S&W/.38-40 convertibles, short-barrel sheriff's model Vaqueros in .357 and .45LC but with the standard Vaquero grip versus bird's-head. All kindsa weird crap :).

(Any .40S&W cylinder can be easily converted to 10mm by just about any gunsmith.)

DanP

Thanks folks,

Good linked thread indeed!

jmorgan, thanks for some basics.

Although still confused about what is really out there, maybe its just time to start shopping hands on, maybe I'll even run into one of the non-catalog specimens.

Worst that can happen is that I overpay some... but then again I'll forget about not getting an educated deal soon enough, but the gun I get to enjoy for a long time...

Bob G.

Super Blackhawk

I bought a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk a couple years ago - my first SA revolver. I did the thing with lifting one leg of the trigger return spring off the post, it works great. With the short barrel, the gun comes with a round trigger guard and I believe the grip is the same size as the Blackhawk. I really like this gun. I wouldn't mind having a 357, but if I could only have one it would be the 44mag I have now.
Only thing is, once you get one you'll find you need a lever gun in the same caliber!!! That's lots of fun too!!
Bob

Mike Weber

Dan:
I shoot both Blackhawks and Vaqueros. Mine are all .45 Colt. What the guys are saying about reloading being the cost effective route for this caliber is absolutely true. If I had been able to find convertible .45 Colt/.45ACP guns at the time that I bought my revolvers I would have gone this route. I have five Ruger SA revolvers at this point, that should tell you that I am very happy with the Ruger SAs.:)

DanP

Thanks Bob!

I agree on the .44 being more fun, the only reason I don't shoot my Anaconda more is because of ammo cost.

Naive question, I'm sure: on something like a Blackhawk SA, why would one purchase anything shorter than a 6 or 7" barrel?

Jim March

Bob G's combination is indeed a good gun! The standard Vaquero/Blackhawk grip frame is in my opinion a better option than the larger SBH grip...but if you're going to use adjustable sights, the SBH hammer *rocks* :). It's further back from the rear sight.

DanP: a lot of us prefer the 4.6" barrel over all others, because of it's "fast handling qualities" over the longer tubes. The whole point of an SA is that with practice, they're very quick into action - longer tubes screw that up :). This is especially important for a defense gun, be it defense against critters 4-legged or 2.

4" is enough to get decent performance out of most ammo. The only time you really need a 6" or more tube is if you're going to do long-distance *offensive* plinking against a deer or something.

foghornl

I have owned Ruger Blackhawks in .357, .41 & SBH in .44 I don't own those now, but I do have a "Sheriff's Model" Vaquero in .357. It has a short (3-3/4" or so) barrel, but it is a lot of fun to shoot. If I decide to get into Cowboy Shooting, I feel this would be a great one for that purpose.