Help with Remington 721 trigger

samsmix

So my ol' 721 roasted off a round when I switched it from "safe" to "fire". I have heard this is a problem with Remington trigger M-721/722 & M-700 rifles. Now the trigger on this gun is a bit light and according to a competent local gunsmith, the under-weight trigger is the source of my trouble. And before anyone asks, yes: the trigger group is hound's tooth clean.

The question is: How do I adjust my trigger to a safer weight? Post pics with your instructions if at all possible.

Do Not suggest replacement triggers at this time please.

Wildalaska

If it has the double sear it is unsafe to shoot no matter what you do. If you have an underweight correct trigger that is already malfunctioning it should be taken to a remington service center for repair.

WildcarryonAlaska ™

samsmix

Careful, look at all those "dangerous" Ruger Blackhawks that were converted to transfer bar safeties, thereby making collectors items out of the rest.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Short-term, from the FWIW department: Don't use the safety. If there is a round in the chamber when hunting, leave the bolt handle up until ready to shoot.

samsmix

+1 To your sound advice Art. I actually finised the hunt I was on by leaving the bolt handle up. I also hasten to add that while the machine did malfunction, the safety between my ears was working correctly. The errant shot plowed into the dirt downrange, and nothing else. I had just walked up to a downed WT doe, and upon confirming hes demise took the (unmodified) gun off safe to empty the chamber.

The only things damaged were my BVDs, and my confidence in the rifle.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The "bolt-handle up" is a family thing. Neither my father nor my gunsmithing uncle fully trusted safeties. This was long before Mr. Remington dreamed up the 721. This was Model 70, Springfield, Mauser...

So, I've always hunted with the knob up on my Sako or Weathrby. :)