Help with model 70 ID

"JJ"

Hey what's up guys?
I hope all is well!

I'm assisting my father who is liquidating some assests and he has a Winchester model 70 XTR that is presenting a little problem with identification.
It is chambered in 22-250 and the serial number gives it a 1979 manufacturing date according to the Blue Book of Gun Value. We've got a general idea on value but with 10 pages of different models of the model 70 and some posted online with a $1600 asking price I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I know you can ASK anything for an item for sale and that doesn't mean it's worth it, but there are a few priced in that neighborhood.
I'm extremely green when it comes to Winchester so I've been studying some but I'm still not sure what the difference is between the "good ones" and the "bad ones" or if it's a feather weight or a standard or whatever else is offered.
Any help, assistance or advice would be appreciated.

I tried adding a photo but I believe it was too large.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scorch

Not all Model 70s are created equal. Push feed rifles from 1964-2010 draw considerably less money than controlled round feed rifles, either pre-1964 and after 1989 when the Classics were introduced. The 1970-1990 rifles were OK, but don't get the appreciation that early Model 70s get (pre-war and pre-64), and they just don't compare quality-wise to the newer crop of controlled round feed (claw extractor) rifles. So, lots of less desirable rifles means less money offered, law of supply and demand. Nothing really "wrong" with the push-feed Model 70s, but the purists won't give them the credit they deserve. Going price for a Model 70 XTR is about $600, but many buyers may be leery about a 22-250 because many shooters burn the barrels out and then sell them.

T. O'Heir

The Blue Book of Gun Values give averages of prices from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand. It's ok for a 'ball park' figure, but the assorted auction sites will give you a better idea of real values.
A $1600 asking price for a Win M70 XTR is nutso. Lotta guys on-line think their hunting rifles are made of gold. There's an M70 XTR Varmint currently on Gunbroker at $649. It has no bids with 23.5 hours left. The seller seems to think it's an investment piece too. It's a ground hog/varmint gun. No collector value or interest.

jmr40

The XTR's are the best of the pushfeed model 70's. Winchester was actually bought out by a group of investors in the late 70's and technically the name of the company was changed to"United States Repeating Arms Company". You will see that, or USRAC on many of those rifles. Sometimes on the butt plate. Along with the Winchster logo which they owned the rights to use.

USRAC made a sincere effort to return Winchester quality. Even not in the more desirable CRF configuration they are good rifles. By 1992 Winchester had again been sold to FN. They brought back CRF with the "Classic' rifles, where were the flagship rifles. They continued to make PF rifles as their "budget" rifles until they went under in 2006.

While the XTR's are very nice rifles, they never gained a lot of interest. Today they are undervalued on the used market. If I were buying they are a bargain. You can get a lot of rifle for the money. But if you're selling don't expect them to bring top dollar.

"JJ"

Great information guys! That's exactly what i was looking for!

I thought the buy out was in the early 80s? The butt plate on this rifle has the Winchester Repeating Arms logo on it and I read that that COULD be considered "more desirable".

Anyway, I now feel comfortable with the $550 asking price we put on it!
I appreciate the help fellas!

Paul B.

I've bought three Winchester XTR rifles in the past few years.

7x57 Mauser Featherweight like new $400
.257 Roberts Featherweight new in box $500
.270 Win. $400 with scope and McMillan stock* $400

*Winchester (USRAC??) ran some rifle models with the McMillan stock and they're a bit heavy But based on mine, extremely accurate. .50" three shot group from a cold barrel. No, it ain't for sale. :)
Paul B.