help with Hornady powder measure

Wildshot

I have been using a Lee case activated powder drop. When I load for pistol it has been fine. I bought a kit for it so I could load 223's. It was terrible. Massive leakage. Tolerance, between parts, was way too broad and it did not handle H4895 very well at all. After loading 50 rounds I was not confident in what I had done. I pulled them all apart. Loads were very inconsistent, from very low load to way to heavy. I figured it was time to upgrade, so I bought a Hornady case activated powder drop, thinking I would get the entire devise. I was very wrong. What I got was an addition to their powder drop. My problem is I am not sure what to order so I have the complete devise. I sent an Email to Hornady but never got an answer. A little help please :confused:

rajbcpa

I have one of these that came with a kit for a SS press.

Then , I bought the optional case activated hardware that can be used in a progressive press. Generally, it has been fairly acurate and easy to use. I also bought the micrometer adjustment but it really is not necessary - especially for rifle.

Spammy_H

Brian's got it right.

I have the powder measure and the case activated powder drop assembly on my Hornady Lock N Load progressive press, and it's rock solid. You can either get a micrometer metering insert, or separate metering inserts per caliber and make really fast, accurate powder charge weight changes if you so desire.

JimDandy

By the way, I'd tack on a can of their Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube at the same time. THey ship those powder measures coated in a factory grease type coating, the cleaner is supposed to clean that out, and leave behind a dry lube to help facilitate powder movement. Even without the dry lube you still have to clean the factory crap off of it or the powder sticks everywhere.

Spammy_H

Yes - good point - I forgot to say that I had to do the same with mine. Don't run it until you clean it. Hornady's One Shot gun cleaner & dry lube is what they recommend, and what I used as well.