help with Finn M39

marks655

Recently purchased a really nice looking Finn nagant recently at a gunshow (1944 VKT) which appeared to have a mint bore.

Upon closer inspection after getting it home I noticed the inside diamteter of the barrel is slightly enlarged from the point where the front sight is mounted to the muzzle (just over an inch). The rifling and bore are not marred - just 'enlarged.' Rifling remains crisp right up to the crown. I can't even figure out how this could be done. :confused:

I planned to shoot this rifle and want optimal accuracy. (I can't shoot it at present due to medical reasons). I assume this 'barrel distortion' won't help. Am thinking of back-boring it (counterboring) using a pilot reamer to correct this. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

dbldblu

My first thought was that it has been back bored but then maybe it was fired with snow in the muzzle. I would shoot it and see how it does before doing anything. It may not be a problem at all.

DnPRK

It was a common practice for armorers in European armies to restore a rifle's accuracy by counterboring lands at the muzzle that had been damaged by recruits through over zealous use of steel cleaning rods.

marks655

I understand that many of these rifles were counterbored. This rifle doesn't appear to have been counterbored. The inside of the barrel bulges slightly with rifling intact and crisp right up to the muzzle. Counterboring would have removed the rifling. Perhaps it has something to do with how the front sight was installed.

So is counterboring the best option for this rifle?

marks655

end of story

:) I located the seller and he offered cash refund or another rifle. I traded the M39 for a nice Kar 98. He plans to counterbore the M39.