Help with ejectors

USA123456789

Well...
I want to know if I can possibly adjust the ejection strings on my browning XT trap combo. It isn't satisfying me with the ejection distance. I want it to go farther. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

oneounceload

it only needs to go as far as your hand so you don't leave litter on the ground. :D IIRC, if you increase the spring strength, it will become stiffer to open

BigJimP

In theory you could fool with the cams / the springs that activate the ejectors / or custom build cams and springs to throw it further .... ( but you're into heat treating, etc to make your own ...and that's nuts ).

The only adjustment in them that I'm aware of, and I don't know if it's on all years the gun was produced or not, is to change it from an "extractor" mode - to an "ejector mode"... by inserting a wrench into the cam and changing the way the spring sits on the cam - so it doesn't kick them as far ....... but kicking them out further, don't know how you would do that without messing with the original design and "jury rigging" something ...

Its your gun / but personally the last thing I want is to toss a hull at all - I either set it to the "ejector mode" or I cover the shells with my strong hand as I break the gun / to catch the hull and put it in my vest. At most clubs its rude to just leave your hulls on the ground .... but I also reload. But even if I was going to dump my hulls, I would still catch them and dump them in the garbage.

USA123456789

Well in the summer I have hull vulture's standing behind me. This year i actually started throwing my shells at them and bending the brass. And that royally got on there nerves. Jim you now that im a youth. So i got called a couple of names one day and I went flipping crazy on that (I would say it but) person. I think that guy will never mess with me again or will anyone else that saw the situation. I asked the bum once to stop and them again and then i had just had it.

BigJimP

You're age isn't a factor / and it makes no difference to me. On my squads, I expect and enforce the shooting rules of etiquette ( even on very young kids ) / and on my squads, I don't have much tolerance for people that misbehave or do not show other shooters the same courtesy they deserve. This is all outlined pretty well in the rule books / and at most gun clubs.

Trap, Skeet, etc are supposed to be gentlemen's games / it isn't a place where anything goes. I don't have a problem with making allowances for new shooters / because they may not know - but hopefully one of the members or a range master will talk to them. On my squads, everybody should stop their converstation when other people are shooting / and there shouldn't be anyone in your peripheral vision moving (you and other shooters, should stand motionless when the person next to them is shooting - and that includes moving your gun - especially when the shooter next to you is shooting ). There shouldn't be anyone behind you disrupting your concentration / and no convesation should be loud enough behind you that you can hear it with earplugs or muffs on.

In my view the guy standing behind you was being rude. I wouldn't tolerate anyone on the field, standing behind me, unless it was a referee. I would quit shooting - and ask them to leave the field.

But that doesn't excuse your actions by tossing shells back their way either. That kind of behavior can get you removed from the field as well. If you're telling me you want to fuss with your ejectors - to make the guy behind you move back .... I will tell you to take a deep breath and think this whole thing thru / because you're very close to behaving improperly. Its not in your best interest / let alone messing up your concentration - to play games with a guy standing behind you. His rude behavior doesn't mean you can do whatever you want - sorry.

Some clubs have rules that say if a hull hits the ground / it belongs to them. If that is not the case at your club - you ought to be able to police up your own hulls when you're done. If someone else is picking up hulls, it would be polite for them to offer you, your hulls. But like I said, it is also rude to let your hulls lay on the ground for somebody else to have to pick them up when they cut the grass, etc.

My honest counsel to you - behave like you would if your parent, coach, your wife, girlfriend, ... - or any other person you respect - was standing there watching you shoot and compete. A Trap field is not a place for "hockey arena" behavior from spectators or especially shooters. There are days at my club when I am just not shooting well or taking my misses seriously / but it doesn't mean my behavior changes on the field or affects the other shooters around me. The guy standing behind you is a jerk - let the range master deal with him. Don't be a guy that goes to a tournament - and when other shooters find out your're there / noone will shoot on your squad.

We have a couple of guys like that in my area - they are very talented shooters - Master class / and if I get put on their squad because the rest of my buddies did not come ... I'll demand the shoot organizer move me to a different squad - and it better be at least two squads away from those guys / or I will forfeit my entry money and leave the club. I don't care if you win National Titles - please don't become one of those guys.

Last edited:

oneounceload

Well said Jim!

There are always a few who make the rest look bad.

Someone had a tag line that basically said - be on your best behavior at the club - you might be someone's first impression of shooters.....

That is so true

To the OP - if that person is too close, turn around and ask them to politely back off and leave your hulls alone