Help with Colt Mustang Plus II

JAYBIRD78

Just bought a LNIB Colt Mustang Plus II and I take it to the range today.
I made it threw three mags of WWB before it just stops working. I pull the magazine out and woe and behold the flat sear spring comes out with it. I was rather disgusted and decided to wait until home to give it a look. I get the spring back in the frame slots and behind the sear and ejector. Turns out there is enough slop in the frame cutouts or the flat sear spring was not manufactured long enough and I can move the spring back out by hand. Of course I have not taken any pictures of the problem but I can be 99% sure it will happen again under recoil. What do you all think? Should I try and contact colt? A gunsmith? Is it possible with the many different models with different length grip frames that the sear springs come in different lengths, etc. and It was installed wrong at the factory? If anyone owns one of these Colts could you please give me your input and advice. I know Colt no longer manufactures these guns. I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting for input. Thanks

FLA2760

Give Colt a Call they may service the gun for you. I have a Pony pocketlite and I called them last week to ask about spare parts, (my gun is working fine)
they told me I could send it in and they would service it if ever needed. Here is Colt's # 1-800-962-2658

JollyRoger

I had one of the original Colt Mustang's back in about 1986. At that time, the flat spring came out just as you describe. Colt did a recall, sort of, on the gun. At the time, you called or wrote Colt, and they sent you a little spring clip which fit over the flat spring, which had some notched areas, in the mag well. You can install it yourself, and it keeps the spring from moving up enough to clear its retaining slot. 5 minute repair job, and I bet Colt would send you one post haste. Hope this helps.

JAYBIRD78

Thanks guys......

This is what I wanted to hear JollyRodger. I was thinking of using a flat piece of aluminum to wrap around the notches to keep it from happening. The original owner(s) purchase receipt shows a date of 1988 so I'm sure it is an early model.
Thank you so much for this information.

JAYBIRD78

Just got off the phone with Colt....

Very nice lady answered the phone and checked on the serial number and sure enough there was a recall. She is going to send a "fix-it" clip in the mail. I am definitely all smiles.:):):)I might just have to look into buying one of there 1911's if the customer service is this quick. Thanks again JollyRoger for your input on the recall.