Help With Choosing New 1911 Sights

hipwr40

I have just purchased a Colt Combat Commander. It is in good shape for being 30 years old but it needed some "personalizing". I have sent it to a pistolsmith so he can install a tactical safety, fitted beavertail, and reblue it since the blue was fading. I am thinking about changing the sights. It has the original staked front and combat rear. I would like to change this to a Novak style where the rear sight extends to the back of the slide and also have a dovetailed front. I know the frame has to be cut for the front sight but does Novak or Heine or someone else make a ramped rear that will fit in the standard Colt notch instead of having it machined out more a "Novak" cut.
Thanks

Russell92

I'm not sure about the answer to your question but you could email Henie and ask them. They always get back to me within 24 hours from when i send my email. I love their sights; I just sent my Glock 24C slide in to them to get sights put on it today actually.

Dfariswheel

Get on line and check Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com
They carry almost everything in 1911 sights.
I just checked my catalog, and they have a number of Novaks' that don't require milling the slide, and several 'overhanging' type sights that fit the factory dovetail.

eger precision

To install Novaks you have to mill the slide. After you do that,you have the Novaks for good. Then you have to mill a dovetail for the front sight as well. So,if you go that rout you have the Novaks for good.

I know they are popular right now,but I never wanted my 1911 to look like a third generation Smith&Wesson auto.

I like Millets or Trijicons.

You can use the original dovetail for the rear and stake on the front sight.

It is also a lot cheaper.

My2 cents.

JBH

Do the Novaks that fit into the factory rear dovetail come all the way out to the back end of the slide or do they sit forward of a set of Lo-Mounts? From the picture in Brownells the Carry and the Lo Mount look like 2 different designs.

John Marshall

I have no personal experience with them but Chip McCormick is now selling what they call a "Drop-in Low Mount Sight", which looks very much like a Novak Low Mount, that they say fits in the standard "Military dovetail (60deg x.290")".

You could check them out at http://www.chipmccormickcorp.com

On the other hand, if the 'smith is going to have the gun anyway, you might as well have him install a good set of sights. Novak's or Heinie's would be my suggestion.