Help with a particular 1911 feeding problem?

ScottRiqui

First off, I know I should have taken pictures. I will next time, since I'm sure this won't be the last time it happens.

I was at the range Sunday with my fairly-new Remington R1 (about 400 rounds fired so far). Twice over the course of 100 rounds, I had a failure to feed. The failure was the same both times. It almost looked like a double-feed; one round was halfway into the chamber, and the round below it looked like it was pressing upward on the "halfway" round, so that the rear end of the "halfway" round was higher than the nose end. Both times, I pressed the mag release button, pulled out the magazine, and the slide spontaneously went forward the rest of the way into battery. I then reinserted the magazine and kept firing without issue.

The ammo was handloaded 230 gr cast round nose. The magazine is one of the two that came with the gun, and it was the same magazine both times.

Does this sound like the symptom of a particular feeding problem? The only thing I can think that might have been different between those two rounds and all the ones that fed without issue would be the headstamp - the bullet, primer, powder charge and OAL were the same for all 100 rounds, but I *was* using mixed headstamp brass.

golfnutrlv

Does the malfunction occur with more than one magazine? Is so, I would say check the crimp and the overall length.

If happens one only one magazine, that may be it.

ScottRiqui

I only brought one magazine that trip - the R1 comes with two, so I'll add the other one to the rotation next visit. I guess I should include another magazine that's different from the factory mags, too. That way, if all of the failure happen with one of the factory mags, it's probably that mag that's faulty. If the failures happen with both factory mags but not the aftermarket one, then it might be the design of the factory magazines, rather than just a fault with one of them. If the failures happen with all three mags, then it's likely the ammo or something with the pistol itself.

I almost wish the problem would manifest itself *more* often - at the failure rate I'm experiencing now, it might take a LOT of ammo to narrow it down.

Catoy71

Handloads are statistically inconsistent . . i.e. the human error. Try factory, if you're still having a problem, then extractor tension issues, or spring load issues with respect to guide rod and or mag if you're frankin bitting your fire arms together so to speak . .

ScottRiqui

Thanks for the suggestion - a few boxes of factory hardball *would* go a long way toward cutting down on the number of variables in play. As for the gun itself, it's 100% bone-stock, so that should make things simpler.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the factory mags. Buy yourself several good aftermarket mags like Chip McCormick Power mags or Tripp Research Cobra mags. These are my two favorites. Wilson mags are solid as well. The majority of failures seen in 1911's can be attributed to 1) the magazine or 2) the extractor.

BigJimP

I think its a mag problem ...and I suspect its a combination of things - maybe the follower or the feed lips on the mag.

If one of your buddies has a 1911 ..see if you can borrow a Wilson Combat Mag ..that he knows is running 100% ...and see if it continues. Or just invest in another mag ...a good one/like Wilson Combat ..is my personal preference. I run Wilson Mags ...in all of my 1911's in 9mm and .45 acp ...whether they are Wilson guns ..or Kimber, Ed Brown or Les Baer...

If the wilson mags still present the issue ...then eliminate another variable by shooting factory ammo in the wilson mag. If you still have problems...then its probably time to get it to a gunsmith.

I doubt your reloads are the problem ...but running some factory ammo until you get this resolved is not a bad idea / its just expensive. If you're not shooting 230gr RN jacketed or plated bullets...then I would at least reload some ammo with jacketed or plated bullets to run thru it. Wad cutters can present some feed isssues on a lot of 1911's.

But I still think its a mag issue. There was a young guy at my range last week with a new Remington 1911 in a lane next to me ...had all kinds of feeding issues / and he was shooting mag tech factory ammo 230 gr RN....and I had extra mags with me, so I loaned him one for the day...and he ran 2 boxes with no feed issues thru his gun. Then he went shopping for a Wilson mag...

In his case ....the gun was "under lubed" as well... and with his permission one of the range safety officers and I quickly field stripped it ...and lubed it up with some Break Free / ( I always have a small bottle in my range bag )...which might have helped as well. 1911's need to run a little on the "wet" side ...especially when they're new in my opinion.
-----------
Whenever I have a feeding issue on a 1911 or any gun ....I mark a big X on that mag ...with a sharpie marker I carry in my range bag....and while I may take the mag home and take it apart and clean it ...and give it another chance...if the issue persists.../ I replace the mag...and rarely is it something else wrong. But in all cases ..its been a Kimber mag, a Baer mag, an Ed Brown mag....and not a Wilson Mag that has failed ( with one exception on the new 9mm mags that wilson was making / they had a feed lips issue - and when I called them to discuss the issue - they replaced all my mags for me under warranty and told me to toss the others out ) ....I have not had an issue with a Wilson mag...

Last edited:

ScottRiqui

Well, I just ordered a pair of Wilson Combat #47 magazines, so I should be able to give them a try before the end of the week.

I didn't know about running 1911s "wet" - I've been using Brian Enos' "Slide Glide Lite" on the rails and contact points. I have some CLP, too - I'll give it a try if I'm still having problems with the WC mags.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys.

RickB

If the round is completely free of the mag, but not properly chambered, I'd suspect the mag. Some mags maintain control of the feeding round until after the rim has been picked-up by the extractor - the original design - while some newer mag designs sort of toss the round at the extractor, hoping that the timing is correct. If there's a problem, the round can get loose, miss the extractor, and you end up with various types of misfeeds.
A weak spring, or misshapen or damaged feedlips will contribute to the problem.