Help with a load for a Lee .358 150 gr RN cast lead bullet

bedbugbilly

New to reloading and getting started in 38 special.

One of the molds I purchased (wil be casting my own) is the Lee 150 gr RN .358 along with a tumble lube 158 gr WC.

In searching for powder in my area, I was hoping to find some Trail Boss but no luck - the shops evidently can't keep it on the shelf.

I was able to find some Unique and some No. 2. Looking on "CASTPICS' site, they list a minimum 5 gr and maximum 6 gr load of Unique for a maximum velocity of 940 for the 150 gr in 38 spl.

It lists no data for the No. 2.

Does anybody use this lead cast bullet for reloading 38 spl and if so, do you have suggestions for a "basic" load (i.e. min/max charge)?

I will primarily be shooting these out of a 5 1/2" .357 New Vaquero but also have a 357 LCR and some vintage 6" 38 spl. hand guns. (I prefer the 38 spl and don't shoot 357)

And

Can the No. 2 be utilized for this bullet? If so, a good beginning charge? (min/max)

I'm not looking to load a cartridge to "push the envelope" - just a decent target load for plinking.

Many thanks for your help/advice. I am hoping to get a quantity of both the 150 and 158 grain bullets cast up this next week and then would like to get some loaded to try out.

bedbugbilly

Thanks for your reply and the link . . .

I've already been there though and Page 9 shows loads for .357 not standard 38 specials that I'm looking for and nothing for No. 2 on page 9 . . ..

Page 7 shows standard 38 special loads but the only thing I see under No. 2 in a 150 grain is for a Jacketed Hollow Point - I can't find anything in regards to a 150 gr. cast lead round . . . . ??? . . . am I not looking at this data correctly?

My Speers Manual #14 shows a suggest load for a 158 gr lead WC for No 2 as a min 3.6 gr/ max 4 gr. Would this also apply to a lead RN 150 gr that is 8 gr lighter than the 150 gr? (lead bullet)?

zxcvbob

My Speers Manual #14 shows a suggest load for a 158 gr lead WC for No 2 as a min 3.6 gr/ max 4 gr. Would this also apply to a lead RN 150 gr that is 8 gr lighter than the 150 gr? (lead bullet)?

Are you sure that says WC and not SWC?

You can use 158 grain lead bullet data for 150 grain lead bullets just fine. The one thing to watch out for is wadcutter load data (you don't want that) because the bullet is seated so deep in the case.

Nick_C_S

You'll be fine using Speer's 158g SWC data. Might even be able to work it up a little. AA2 is a very good powder choice for this cartridge/bullet combo.

bedbugbilly

zxcvbob - yes, you are correct on that! SWC not WC. I was looking right at the manual when I typed that and didn't hit the S. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your replies and help - greatly appreciated. I hope to get some molded today. I'm in the process of getting my equipment set up and hope to be able to load some next week. I'm doing a lot of reading and while I know the 38 spl is supposed to be pretty straightforward - just trying to get it clear so that I don't screw up. I'm sure that once I get going, I'll be fine. Since I've mainly shot BP for 50 years, which is a whole lot easier (in my mind) = I'm trying to make the transition in to loading smokeless as informed as I can.

It's nice to have a forum like this to get info from those more experienced. Many thanks again. :)

Nick_C_S

38 Special is a great cartridge to learn how to load - it's easy and straighforward.

The only caveat with 38 is that many loads don't fill the case very much (sometimes less than 30%) - which means it's easy to charge a case twice ("double charge"). Take a good look at your powder levels after you charge your cases, and before you seat the bullet.

My first handload was a 38. And 29 years later, it's still my most loaded cartridge.

GP100man

Page 9

Look under 38+p , listing is for Berrys plated 158gr bullet .

The startin load will probably give ya what ya want.

Anything ya find for #2 under 158 gr. jacketed reduced 10% will be a good start for lead bullets.

darkgael

I am using the Lee TL 158 RN bullet for practice with my revolver.
I load that bullet, lubed with Lee's liquid alox, atop 4.3 grains of W231. Loaded on a Dillon SQDb.
They shoot dead on at 25 yards with a center hold and my old model 10 fixed sights and dead on at 50 yards if I hold the bottom of the black on the NRA SF target.
Pete

bt380

darkgael: do you mix anything with your alox?
-
Here is a nice vid showing use and results:
Lee liquid alox bullet lube & resizing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oo94tT8_-k
-
Here are a couple suggestions from: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400778
-
NuJudge wrote:
Lee Liquid Alox is just Lubrizol Corp's Alox 606-55
The Lee ALOX product is Lubrizol Corporation's Alox 606-55. Lee buys it in quantity and repackages it in tiny bottles, which costs a lot.
Alox 606 is a solid. Melts at 245 degrees centigrade. It is diluted with 45% mineral spirits to make 606-55.
You can buy the same stuff much cheaper in larger amounts:
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html
Lubrizol does not like Lars calling it "Alox," so he calls it "Xlox."
-
res45 wrote:
I use this mix and method,works great for all my pistol and rifle cast bullet loads. The two 4 oz. bottles of Alox plus the JPW and MS mix made enough lube to last a life time.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654