Help with a Buckmark

longnkrnch

I hope someone can give me some ideas. I have a Browning Buckmark. (bought used at a gun show) The top strap (if thats what its called) that holds the rear sight, will put the slide in a bind if I tighten the two screws that hold it in place. I have to leave the pretty loose for the gun to function. If I just snug them a little bit tight, the slide will not fully operate and is hard just to manually jack a round into the chamber.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Other than that it is a great gun.

Mike-Mat

There should have been a conical washer under the screw. Did you put that back in? Hope you didn't loose them. That's probably changing the height enough to make it bind.

Mike Mattera

ZeSpectre

The "conical washer" is called a "sight base screw washer"

If it's a polymer (plastic) sight base then check for cracks. If someone overtightened before and cracked it you'll be ramping down too hard on it to get it snug and that will cause binding. Replacement polymer bases are about $13

If it's an aftermarket sight base (specifically the B-Squared one) I've had to make a little brass "spacer" to go on top of the rear post inside before.

If you want to replace the sight base with something to mount a red-dot on, I highly recommend the Weigand combat one. It seems to be the best out there right now.

Also, unlike most guns you will almost never have to disassemble a buckmark. Swabbing out the barrel, scrubbing out the chamber with a narrow brush, and spritzing it with some lube is all the "standard maintenance" they usually need.

Once in a blue moon you'll need to disassemble it but the process is NOT a case of "field stripping" after every use.

Last edited: