Help with a Beretta

KJr

It is time to upgrade :) I really like the Beretta line of shotguns. My preferences are solid wood, (no synthetics, no camo) in a semi auto. What model would you recommend and I would prefer to buy a used gun over a new, what's a fair price?
Thank you in advance.

Slugo

I would go for the new...

made in USA 3901 American. Has the tried and true, and easy to take care of gas system. It comes in black walnut and sells for about $750 street price new. Stay away from the newer 391 gas series guns. The gas system is much more complicated and harder to dissemble and reassemble...

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
My opinion on the new A400 Xtreme I'm testing is quite positive, but the MSRP is close to $1800.

The 3901s I've run across have happy owners.

The 391s are good also, and may be bought used for a decent price.

LSnSC

Ive got a 390 and a 391. I personally like the slimmer forend of the 391, but my old 390 has killed more stuff than cancer. The difference in the gas system is insignificant. I wanted to see how many rounds I could put through my 391 without a major cleaning. I ran 1500 reloads through it with out anything other a wipedown and barrel swabbing. Finally felt guilty and broke it down for a good cleaning.

BigJimP

KJR,

the problem with your question - is there are too many guns to give you a good answer.... Beretta semi-autos in their "field guns" they have 14 models of the 391, 3901, A400 and prices range new from $ 645 - $ 2,075 and in their Competition line of guns - just in semi-autos again - they have 13 more models of the 391, 3901, A400 and UGB ...that range in price from $1,000 - $ 4,125.........

Which one is best....
What is a good price ...

Personally out of all of them I like the UGB Xcel Trap model with a 30" barrel - but with list price at $ 4,125 ...and average street price of around $ 3,750 ...is it a good gun for you ...I don't know ....

I also like the AL 391 Urika 2 Gold parallel and at a list price of $ 1,775 and street price of around $ 1,400 its a great gun for the money.../ but is it a good gun for you ...I don't know ....

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-department/firearms/competition-shotguns/semiautomatics/
You have to narrow this down / check out their website ...which models of their guns have you fired / have you taken any of them to a pattern board to see if they fit or not ....and on and on ..../ it isn't just about grabbing one off the shelf.......

andhen2003

I just purchased an AL391 URIKA2 - I'll let you know what I think! Got it for $840 and I believe it retails in the $1200 range.

BigJimP

guys .... the point is ....there is more than one model of the AL391 Urika 2...in the field guns there are 5 of them and prices vary from $ 1,125 - $ 1,500 and there are 5 more in the Competition guns and list prices are from
$ 1,450 - $ 1825....

There are a lot of models ...if you really want to help the OP - can we try and be more specific ...??

I just bought one ...doesn't even say what model year it was .../ just because its new in a box ...doesn't mean much ....if it was a 3 yr old model.

There is a member of this forum looking for a new Browning O/U - and everything he is finding is new in a box // ( but it was mfg'd in 2006 ) not 2011. The 2011 models are sold .../ talked to a guy recently that found a new Browning gold semi-auto 12ga ...and I don't know which model of the gold he found - but Browning has not made the Gold semi-auto in at least 3 yrs ...but there is still some inventory out there.../maybe its a great deal ...maybe not ...hard to know unless we're being specific .

Last edited:

Boom Boom Boom

Beretta is like my cell phone. It works OK, but they never seem to get it just right and a newer improved model is always right around the corner. Why cant they just get it right and stick with it like BENELLI!!! there is no comparison.

HKGuns

I own an original 391 Urika and an Xtrema2. Both guns are extremely reliable and I would buy another Beretta shotgun in a hot second.

Why cant they just get it right and stick with it like BENELLI!!! there is no comparison.

Huh? Just spouting off or do you honestly believe that crap? It may interest you to know that Beretta and Benelli are the same company. Go figure huh?

oregunner

If you are looking used, newer isn't always better. I have a AL-1, 303s, 390s, and a 391. Depending on what you will be using it for, the 303 with a mobil choke barrel is a great gun, but 2 3/4" only. If yoy want to shoot 3" too, look for a 390. The newer guns just get more complicated. Mark

oneounceload

391 is easier than the 390 as far as cleaning, and the A400 easier still.......

Still, the 303 is considered one of the best gas gun around

oregunner

The pressure relief spring for the gas piston on the 391 is much more of a pain to clean than the 390. I don't see where you think it's easier. Mark

KJr

Great replies...I'm looking to spend between 8 & 1100 dollars for probably a used gun.

Big Jim, It is hard to qualify one model over another as I do not have them to look at and online research is all but worthless, that's why I come here for advise. Real advise from real gun owners & shooters...like myself.

I intend to shoot birds, real & clay, and small game but mostly targets on a range.

Thanks to all...your input is valuable

HKGuns

I've cleaned a 390 and 391 and find the 391 to be somewhat easier. However, both pale in comparison to cleaning the Xtrema2. Talk about easy to clean!

Edited to add: OP, you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun than the Urika / Urika 2 and it should fit into your price range quite nicely. Based on your follow-up it doesn't sound like you need any more than a 3" chamber.

Last edited:

lambertsteeth

"Huh? Just spouting off or do you honestly believe that crap? It may interest you to know that Beretta and Benelli are the same company. Go figure huh? "

I've owned three 391s. Had problems with them ALL. One of them the Beretta cutstomer rep. asked me if I had a Dremel tool. He wanted me to started grinding on the barrel of a 3 month old Teknys Gold.

I bought a Benelli on a whim. I have not had any problems since. The Benelli is cleaner, and a much simpler machine. They are FAR easier to keep running. The Benelli is a far superior gun for reliability. I know many very experienced shooters who are selling Berettas for Benellis. I am talking about guys who shoot several targets a week. You can only kill targets if the gun goes Bang.

HKGuns

Your experience is not typical and it doesn't change the fact that they're the same company and my experience is exactly the opposite of yours.

Funny, I don't see many guys at my club or buddies in the field trading their Beretta's for Benelli's.

There isn't a lot of difference between the intertia operated Benelli's and the gas operated Beretta's. In fact, Beretta has done a lot of technology changes in each of their lines, borrowing from Beretta, Benelli and Franchi to improve every line.

Edit: Oh and the OP asked for help with Beretta, not Benelli, so your comments are not only incorrect, they're off topic.

Last edited: