Help With 25-06 Velocties In 28"bbl

REDMISTMD

We all know the 25-06 is a great long range varmint rnd.Im wanting to build a new long range varminter with a 28 inch bbl.what do you guys think Ill be shooting out to 1000yds mostly 400-700 but the occasional long shot and what kind of velocities could I excpect.Im hoping to push 85gr to 3700fps and 100gr to 3500

rugerfreak

Look at the Weatherby charts for the .257 Wby mag----we chrono-ed my .257 Wby 100gn factory loads at 3700fps. When I had the rifle at the time.

gordo b.

I have a .257 Condor that has a 32" bull barrel and a 20 power unertl scope . It is on a 1917 enfield action modified to cock on opening with a Canjar set trigger. It has a 1in 7 twist to fire 140 to 200 grain bullets. I used up most of the couple hundred rounds I got with gun. It uses the full length magnum case and I chronographed the 140grain bullets loaded in 1958 at 3400+fps! It carries up to 1000 yards better than ANYTHING except .50 BMG. I reloaded my own using 120 Sierra Boat tails at 3500fps with 1.5" at 200 yds 4" at 600 yds! The bullets appear to "go to sleep" with distance. This gun which was from Dr. Ramon Somovia's estate is my ultimate windy varmit gun but weighs 36 pounds!It is actually a .258 super condor as marked on barrell but you wont find reference to this any where. Makes you think how far we(havent) come in 50 years of ballistics.

Tom Matiska

Hodgdon #25 list data for a 26" barrel. Hottest 75gr load is 3672 and hottest for 87-90gr was listed as 3470. TOp 100gr load was 3296.

Tom

REDMISTMD

barrel eroision occures when you have a sustained rate of fire and let the bbl get hot and also not keeping it clean while you are doing this.i have peresonally got 3000rnds out of a 6/284 at top velocitys and verl little erosion thanks for the replies im looking not for data ,i have a library of data ,but for real experence with the 25-06 velocities

Gewehr98

REDMISTMD, that's good to know.

Here I thought my 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum wildcat project gun was gonna have a short barrel life. Glad to know that wasn't the case! ;)

MLC

Here I thought my 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum wildcat project gun was gonna have a short barrel life. Glad to know that wasn't the case!
Did you give up on the 17-378 wildcat Gewehr98?;)

Gewehr98

Yeah, unfortunately.

I have an article in Precision Shooting Magazine about George Vais, inventor of the Vais Muzzlebrake. He was tasked to build a muzzlebrake for a wildcat used in barrel erosion testing. They were testing a bore treatment that was supposed to eliminate, or at least reduce, bore erosion. The barrel lasted all of about 100 rounds. They chose a combination that pushed the bullets well over 5000fps. The chambering? .22-378 Weatherby Magnum! :eek:

I did see a novel solution to barrel wear one year. I was attending one of those three-day prairie dog shoots on the Kalifornia-Oregon border, there was a guy with a heavily-modified .220 Swift. It was more of a benchrest gun, with a stainless steel barrel AND stainless water jacket around the barrel. There was a Coleman cooler full of ice water, a 12 volt marine bilge pump, feed and return hoses, and a couple 12 volt car batteries. He had built a lazy susan type turntable benchrest arrangement for the whole system. Barrel stayed nice and cold the entire time he was vaporizing prairie poodles. :D

Peter M. Eick

The best I have done out of my 25-06 sendero (26") is 3630 with a 75 grn bullet. As I understand it you would do about 160 fps faster (80 fps/1" extra barrel) but all of that is from memory.