Help, what's it worth??

Fred

Could use some help, guys. I have an original 1911 (not A1) gov't. model, in maybe 40 to 50% condition. Took it to a local smith recently who checked serial #, and told me it was built in 1914. Also said because of condition, no particular value, just use it as a shooter.
Talked to another smith today to kick around some ideas as to sprucing it up a bit as a shooter. I tell him the year of manufacture, and he tells me that original 1911's are "rare, and hard to find", so it's not a good idea to customize it at all. Claims it could be worth anywhere from "one to five thousand dollars". Well, I'm not sure I agree with him, but sure don't want to alter a gun with potentially high value.

Any thoughts? As far as I can determine, it's pretty much stock, with the exception of a new thicker front sight (to replace one that flew off), and a "field fix" filing of the rear sight to accomodate the thicker front.

Would appreciate any info you might have, or a steer in the right direction to more accurately determine the true value. Thanks.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

aztec777

Fred-It would depend on many things. Is the serial number preceded by a "C"? Any roll markings like "US Army" or "US Navy"? Who was the manufacturer? Low serial number? The condition you mention does lower the value of the piece. If you want to submit more info, I can get you a value that's in the ballpark.

Steve

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Post this at Harley Nolden's Thread and you'll get better answers.

I'd agree if its a 1914 gun I'd leave it "stock" and clean it well.

Re-bluing etc. of such a piece COULD drop its value.

Is it blued/parkerized? Is it marked US Govt Property or is it a commercial model?

These are but many of the few questions Harley will ask you.

Dr.Rob

Fred

Thanks for the quick replies. Points noted. I should have provided more information before asking. Will check it out tonight, and re-post here and Harley Nolden's forum.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Fred

UPDATED - You asked for more information to determine the value of this 1911. Here it is:

Grips - checkered wood, no identifying marks

Right side of slide - MODEL OF U.S. ARMY
Right side of frame - NO 101xxx

Left side of slide - PATENTED APR. 20, 1897, SEPT. 9, 1902, DEC. 19, 1905, FEB. 14, 1911, AUG. 19, 1913. This followed by the Colt horse emblem, then COLT'S P.T.F.A. MFG. CO HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.
Left side of frame - UNITED STATES PROPERTY

There is also a lanyard lug behind the magazine well.

So, what do you think this 1911 is worth?? Thanks for any info.

Sorry, forgot to mention that it is Parkerized, not blued.
------------------
Regards - AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited December 16, 1999).]