Help!! What's a Daly 12ga like?

colostomyclown

It's not. I'd be willing to bet the customer service is nowhere near as good, either. It's probably not that bad, but I'd go with Mossberg any day of the week.

zippy13

Greetings Tahitian, and welcome aboard

Charles Daly guns seem to come and go as the company changes hands. It's my understanding they are an importer not a manufacture. Given the choice, I'd go with an American family made Mossberg over an imported Turkish Daly.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
YEP!!! Imported stuff. Not a clone of the Mossbrg 500.
So if you want a 500 buy a mossberg.
Brent

the rifleer

When i was buying a shotgun i was looking at the 870, mossberg, and the daly. The manager almost instantly told me that the daly was a poor choice because if it breaks its very difficult to get parts for and many gunsmiths wont touch them. If you do something as simple as change the stock or put a new sight on it you void the warrenty, so you have to leave it completely stock. If it does break its hard to get it repaired by daly anyway.

Just do what i did and go with the Mossberg. its made in America and has a 10 year warrenty, which you dont really need because it is not going to break. Its a good shotgun and has lots of aftermarket parts.

Thanks for the advice!

I read the remarks and you were right . I got the Mossberg 500 today. will use any advice I can get as to 'breaking it in'. I have yet to purchase some ammo any suggestions? This is my first Shotgun! Can you tell?:):confused::)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
First is the requisite field stripping to clean it of any possible manufacturing debris.
Manual is pretty clear but I also like to suggest the liberty video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI
For ammo I suggest the cheap 100 round bricks of 7 1/2 or #8 shot for general learning. Than I would buy some 15 round boxes of Winchester Super "X" 00 buck and slugs to get used to the higher power rounds. The slugs are for you to get a little more familiar with getting point of aim and point of impact a little tighter... That is how I go about it but others on here have far more rounds down range than me.
A few rounds of clay birds is good for learning to point shoot a moving target.
Brent

zippy13

Let me add to Brent's recommendations: Get comfortable with the bird shot target rounds before you lay out your cash for the buck shot and slug rounds. You'll want to be well acclimated to the recoil of the light loads before stepping up to the more powerful ones. Folks react to recoil differently. Too many shotguns never see the light of day because their owners took a beating shooting the heavier loads before really learning their way around their new gun. You gotta walk before you can run.

Congratulations on your new gun,
Good luck and shoot safely.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks Zip... I should have clarified then need to run several of them light load bricks thru the gun first.:eek:
Brent

Jeremiah/Az

Tahitian, I would start with light loads such as 1 oz. of shot at 2 3/4 dram. I am an instructor at our clay target gun club. I see many new shooters who do not enjoy their first shoots because of hard kicking loads that they bought unknowingly. Light loads will work just as well or better than a$$ kickers!

colostomyclown

The Mossberg is my favorite gun to ABUSE..er, break in. It loves it. A simple blued 500 is sooo much fun. My method for breaking in a pump shotgun varies slightly depending on the gun, but here's what I like for a Mossberg 500:

Get 500 rounds of Federal 7.5 Lead shot at Walmart (23 dollars for a hundred at Walmart) and a couple boxes of the cheapest 2 and 3//4" buckshot you can find. I wouldn't clean or OIL the gun before you shoot it UNLESS you don't plan to shoot it for awhile. I think the built up carbon/powder what have you that may be in there from test firing it at the factory will only help work in the action even more than the workout you're about to give it.

Take the gun out and shoot ALL the low-baserounds. Don't baby the gun. Rack with authority. rapid fire it. Don't let it cool until you absolutely have to. Take it to the cleaners basically. Put it through it's paces. Make a day of it. You probably won't have any problems with it, but if you do, don't panic. It's more than likely a simplistic fix and a blessing because diagnosing it and fixing it will make you a better handler of it in general. When you're done with the low-base shells, try the buckshot on for size, but shoot at a target you can clearly see and doesn't have holes in it so you can get a feel for the way buckshot handles and spreads and recoils.

When you get home, disassemble it and clean it good. Scrub it. When it's clean, lightly oil it. Even take the stock off and clean back there and lightly oil it as well. I like Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber for cleaning and Remington Remoil or Outers for lubricant, but your mileage may vary. Any good solvent and gun oil will be alright. From there on out clean the barrel after every use and deepclean and lube the gun after every 500 rounds or so or if storing for an extended period keep it clean and lubed.This is how I like to break ina Mossberg 500 and in my opinion you just bought pound for pound, dollar for dollar the best common pump shotgun available all things considered. I will always have a special place in my heart for Mossberg shotguns, even if I do admire others as well.

Last edited: