Help - What should I choose?

cpaspr

A family relative has asked me: "Don't ask too many questions, but what kind of pistol would you like that you don't already have?" It's not a rhetorical question. They simply like me, want to bestow a gift and can afford a few hundred easily. Saying no would be quite rude. I think he's mostly thinking snub-nose, but maybe not. They've got 4 .38s, one S&W LS, 3 Rossi (2 .38 snubbies, 1 .357 3"). Had a .45 Ruger P90, but gave that away several years ago (to me :D).

So, I'm thinking, in no particular order: a longer-bull-barrel Ruger Mark II (have a 5" now); a .32 H&R mag snub-nose which I've shot but don't own(small, easy to carry, roughly equivalent to a .38 special in power (I think) but in a smaller package); a .38 snubby (have lots of k-frame speedloaders, but a j-frame would be different). And I like stainless steel.

Any pros or cons, opinions?

_____

And yes, to any multi-forum members, I also posted this question at THR. I want as much feedback as I can get. Gifts like this don't come along every day.

saber9

I believe you would be happy with one of the S&W J frames in .38 special. Or .357 would be OK, but you would not like shooting full power .357's in it. The .38 snubbies are very popular and once you own one, you will see why.

B.N.Real

.38 snub in stainless steel.

The skys the limit on that type of pistol.

Everyone makes them.

And you can usually find good used deals on them at Gun Shops.

But don't leave Ruger out-super pistols there as well.

chris in va

You've already got a 5" Ruger 22, no real need for another one.

I also vote for a J-frame, my old (OLD) one is very nice.

Or a Ruger SP101/GP100 so you can shoot 357's out of it.

cpaspr

I already have a 4" S&W Model 66, so the .357 is covered. I was thinking of a 10" Ruger, if it could be found. My eyes don't work as well on the short sight radii. And then I could still shoot .22s when my wife won't let me shoot my current Mark II (can't get it away from her).

I'm leaning toward the j-frames. Not there yet, but I'm leaning.

Can anyone tell me anything about the .32 H&R mags? I liked the one I shot several years ago, but it seems ammo may be hard to find.

Voyager AL

32 ammo isnt rare, at least around here. Plus, i have reloaded them. Original purchased 4 boxes, and reload them . She loves the revolver, its the only one we have that she's comfortable shooting ALL DAY! Not a manly gun, but thats why i carry my 642......