Help w/sighting problems for Marlin 336

jrinne0430

I have this old marlin 336RC and it is shooting over a foot hight at 50 yards. I lowered the rear sight as far as it will go but with no luck (no sight elevator instead two screws that lowers the sight). This is the first time shooting this rifle (I also have a newer 336 with sight elevator and it shoots fine). Any ideas whay would cause this? I was shooting Wincester and Remington 170gr bullets.
marlin336sight.jpg

SuddenPull

I might be wrong but I think you should raise the back sight to make it shoot lower. Also, you might want to check the forearm to make sure it is not binding against the barrel.

LHB1

Quote: "I might be wrong but I think you should raise the back sight to make it shoot lower. Also, you might want to check the forearm to make sure it is not binding against the barrel."

WRONG. You always lower the rear sight to lower the POI. OR raise the front sight to make it shoot lower. Can you replace the front sight with a higher one?

SuddenPull

Quote: "WRONG. You always lower the rear sight to lower the POI. OR raise the front sight to make it shoot lower. Can you replace the front sight with a higher one?"

You're absolutely correct.
: "

crowbeaner

Try some 150 grain ammo before you change the front sight. It'e entirely possible the sights may be regulated for 150s.